Thursday, September 1, 2011

Fantasy Football: The Third And Final Draft

I must say, I'm having as much fun as I ever have with Fantasy Football this year.  I feel like I'm getting better at drafting, and in fact, I believe that if you look back at the descriptions of all three of my drafts on this site, it is easy to see improvement.  Let's see how I did during my third and final draft. 

This is the league I won last year when it was a 12 team league.  Occasional commenter Clarkster is the commish, and he had to kick out two teams because the owners were dickbags.  Well, at least one of them was as he dropped all the players he was allowed to drop three-quarters of the way through the season because his team sucked.  What a douche!  This means that the league, which was intended to become a keeper league, is not a keeper league.  This works well for me because, while I did win the championship last year, my only two remotely good players were Burner Turner and Matt Forte.  I pieced to together a squad of scrubs and Rex Grossman and won the goddamn title. 

STONE COLD! STONE COLD!
This year, I got the 4th pick in our snake draft.  I queued up Jamaal Charles and Aaron Rodgers figuring I would take one or the other...

#1 Adrian Peterson (As expected)
#2 Aaron Rodgers (Wow, that's high, but alright)
#3 Jamaal Charles (Oh snap, son!  What the holy fuck do I do now!?)
#4 Arian MRI Foster

I have Foster in my other league, so I figured I would just roll with him here.  I'm just hoping that his hammy heals up and that he is fine.  Doctors on ESPN seem to think he should be out 3 to 4 weeks.  Foster himself said he wouldn't have tweeted the pic if it was "that bad."  I don't know what to think.  My problem is that in awesomeness of the auction league, I forgot to grab Ben Tate to handcuff Foster.  I would not make that same mistake twice...

#5 Ray Rice (I hate Ray Rice)
#6 Chris Johnson (I'd rather gamble with Foster's hammy than with CJ's contract talks)
#7 Andre Johnson
#8 Mike Vick (I won't draft the dogkiller- he's overrated and will be injured at some point)
#9 Roddy White
#10 LeSean McCoy

Round 2 - FIGHT!

#11 Tom Brady
#12 Greg Jennings
#13 Larry Fitzgerald
#14 Calvin Johnson (Calvin and Andre on the same team?!  Interesting to see if this strategy works)
#15 MJD (great value here)
#16 Frank Gore (feels like a homer Niner pick)
#17 Drew Brees

That's right- I have the combo of Brees and Foster in two leagues this year.  If they both succeed, I'm looking at a pretty fun year.  If not, it'll be back to the drawing board next year.  Rounding out the second round:

#18 Osama Mendenhall
#19 Michael Turner
#20 Mike Wallace

Well, it looks like I was fortunate this was not a keeper league.  My best keeper went at 19.  Yikes.  Let's look at the rest of my roster:

#24 Matt Forte
#37 Javid Best
#44 Marques Colston (double points, again!)
#57 Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis (too many names, but great RB depth)
#64 Wes Welker (please don't die)
#77 Santa Moss (this is beginning to look like my roster in G$'s league)
#84 Pierre Garcon (yep, it really is... just with more depth at all positions)
#97 Brandon Jacobs
#104 Joe Flacco (quick story about this pick)

I was looking at Jay Cutler here.  It would've been a homer-iffic pick.  Instead, I quickly looked up the match-ups for Cutler and Flacco during Drew Brees' bye week (week #11.)  Flacco is at home against the Bungles and Cutler is at home against the Chargers.  I felt like Flacco was the better match up and he was higher on the ESPN default "best available" player list.  This was a great pick because Cutler ended up going at #126.

#117 Greg Olsen (not thrilled, but best available TE at this point)
#124 Ben Tate (handcuffed!)
#137 Lee Evans (double points for Week 11!)
#144 Bears D (best available D at the time)
#157 Chris Cooley
#164 Lions D
#177 Kicker (doesn't matter who- I will never pick a kicker higher than the last round ever again!)

There is my team.  I have nice RB and WR depth, and while I tried to let my Defense, Tight End and Kicker positions go by the wayside, I have a feeling I'll be ok.  As long as Arian doesn't miss too much time, my team will be fine... just fine.

4 comments:

GMoney said...

Well, the Chris Johnson contract saga is over so now the big issue is Arian's hammy!

I like this team (as long as Foster is OK). Even if he isn't, you can survive with Best and Forte for the first couple weeks.

I hope you win every game in this league and lose every game in the MSFL.

Jesus has already appeared...just in time for Monday's return of Strasmas.

Prime99 said...

Arian has been stretching and jogging with the team. I had never been to HoustonTexans.com until yesterday. Now, it's a go-to page for me! I probably would have drafted CJ instead yesterday, had I known the contract was settled. Damn.

I will not lose every game in the MSFL. Either you hate me the most out of everyone in the league, or you believe it is possible for everyone else in the league to also lose every week. Unfortunately, it is not. I am also sure I don't have the worst team in the league.

Jesus' call-up was set a few weeks ago. Exciting for you, for sure.

Strasburg is over-hyped. I hope he stays healthy, though- unlike a certain former Cubs pitcher who was also over-hyped (and certifiably man-crushed on by yours truly.)

Observer said...

I like your team - good depth at RB with some decent WRs. Keep in mind that double points means double fucked if your QB has a bad fantasy day...not that Drew Brees has many bad fantasy days.

Strasburg needs to come back and win me a fantasy championship. And for next year, try to think about a rotation of Verlander, Strasburg, and a healthy Josh Johnson without jizzing in your pants.

I hope Jesus breaks his ankle, though.

Prime99 said...

I agree that the double points tactic can be rough, but I feel ok about Brees and Colston (and even Rivers and Jackson in our league, Observer.)

Baseball keepers will be tough this year, and my rotation coming back could be Weaver, Shields and Wainwright. Mine can compete with yours, my friend.

Last, you are still bitter about Posey breaking his leg. Don't hate deJesus because of some ass on the Marlins.