Thursday, September 22, 2011

Make Me Like College Football

For as long as I can remember, my interest in College Football has been lukewarm.  I'm not quite sure exactly why, but here are my two theories:

- Geographically, I've lived in Illinois, Ohio, Georgia and California.  While moving around, I never tied myself to a college.  This theory is good, but doesn't explain why I've stayed true to all the professional Chicago teams since birth. 

Yeah, my family moved around a lot.
- My alma mater plays at the FCS level and that's not really all that interesting.  Seriously- our team is generally good, but Division I-AA will never hold my interest any more than 90210: The New Class (Mrs. P. is watching that show as I write this.) 

So what do I do?  My biggest reason for ever watching College Football is to keep tabs on future NFL stars.  I'd like to give a shit about a specific school, but it is going to be tough.  Let's go through the possibilities:

Northwestern - It's a B1G school located in the Chicago area.  This is a great option, but the problem is I have zero ties to the University and they traditionally have been AWFUL.  I enjoyed watching the game they played at Wrigley Field last year... even if they could only play offense one way for both teams involved. 

Illinois - Similar argument to Northwestern, but I've never been into the Illini. 

Ohio State - I used to root for Ohio State when I lived in Ohio.  This was back when they had as good a chance at beating Michigan as Ronnie from Jersey Shore has at resisting getting back together with soul sucker Sammi.  These days, I can't stand the Buckeyes and they are not a true option.

These trashy girls could've been my future had I not moved from Ohio.
Miami (FL) - I played 7th grade basketball with Ken Dorsey.  I wonder if he was given any improper benefits.  Probably not.  With sanctions on the way, this is not the time to jump on the Hurricanes' bandwagon.

Georgia - While living in Georgia, I went to multiple UGA games.  I'm very familiar with the team playing "between the hedges" and barking during the opening kick.  I even attended a Georgia/Auburn game.  Apparently even SEC games did not make a huge impression on me.  I remember the tailgating being fantastic though!

Georgia Tech - Eh.  Nah. 

Cal - I went to a fellow UC but I can't cheer these guys on.  I've worked with some staff from Cal that were condescending and rude.  I'm not down with d-bags.

And totally unrelated to this post- the USC Song Girls!
Stanford - I also recently worked with some of the Stanford staff.  They were friendly and helpful.  I loved that my boy Jim Harbaugh built their football program back up.  I love that they have the best pro-QB prospect to come out of college in at least ten years.  I love that my alma mater beat them in 2005!  Boom!  Did you see that coming?  I just spent a lot of time talking about how I didn't care.  Actually, I really don't.  Stanford is a good option. 

Boise State - Chris Petersen actually played football at UC Davis (yes, I made you wait this long to confirm my alma mater, though I gave you enough hints to put it together if you didn't already know.)  He's built quite a program up there in Boise.  Their games are exciting.  Their team is tough as nails.  Their field is fucking blue!  I think the Broncos are a good option as well.

Nevada-Reno - Oh, I love me some Reno.  The Wolfpack beat Boise State last year in a crazy game to ruin the Broncos' chance at a National Championship.  They also pounded Cal last year, which was hilarious.  They may not be a big enough school/program to earn my rooting interests though.  Also, I'm not that into the Pistol offense.

---

Throw out any options I may have forgotten.  Give me some reasons I need to get into College Football.  Does it really matter?  Maybe it is better to have my Saturdays free- it gives me a day to prepare for full Sunday focus on the NFL!  Not to mention I plan to get into hockey a bit more this year.  It is possible I don't need College Football.  Yet, if the right fit comes along, I am open to it. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It definitely hurts growing up a nomad and going to an FCS school. As long as you root against ND and OSU every week, you have plenty of favorite teams.

But I'm like you. If She$ ever said that I only get one weekend day to watch football, I'm picking Sunday everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

--$

Prime99 said...

I like it. Rooting against OSU and ND seems like a great solution, especially these days. I do like the idea of jumping on the Stanford bandwagon this year.

Observer said...

I can't convince you to like college football. College sports are like minor leagues in that your favorite players won't be there for more than a couple years, except they're surrounded by even more crap that will be flipping burgers soon enough.

I also hate marching bands. It's 2011. We have massive PA systems and digital media. Put the trombone down, Sparky, and open up iTunes if you need to express your excitement with song.

Prime99 said...

I also dislike marching bands. That is a great call, Observer. There's nothing quite like accidentally sitting next to the band at a game and having your ear drums blown out like your rectum after eating a concession stand hot dog.

Maybe casual observing isn't so bad for College Football.