Monday, September 19, 2011

NFL: Week 2

Alright everyone, bear with me while I attempt to figure out a way to juggle my life's activities.  I really enjoy blogging, but I may have to decrease the number of days a week I'm writing (or simply just retire this site.)  I'm finding that working full time, playing shows part time, going to class, and attempting to keep the rest of my life together is quite a task.  I'll keep you updated with the new schedule or on any decisions I make regarding the site.

Meanwhile... on the NFL gridiron...

The Least Depressing Loss Ever - Let's get this out of the way early.  The Bears loss to the Saints was bad, but it didn't bother me at all.  I knew going into the season that the Bears' early schedule would be as difficult as keeping Charlie Sheen out of a whore house filled with coke.  When the Bears go to New Orleans to play a very good Saints team in their home opener, with the Saints coming off a tough loss last Thursday, the Saints are given a week-and-a-half to prepare, Brian Urlacher's mom dies in the middle of the week and he and many coaches and teammates attend her funeral in New Mexico the day before the game- well, that's just a recipe for disaster- much like this run-on sentence.

The point is, the deck was stacked against the Bears.  They hung tough for awhile, but in the end, the Saints were just too explosive.  Chalk that one up to a bad game and move on.  I don't think the Bears are as good as they were in Week 1, but they are not as bad as people now believe their are in Week 2.  They will compete for the NFC Wild Card, which is fine.

Fantasy Football Updates:

MSFL

Murder Panties (109) - Define Rape... (113)

In a tightly contested match-up, we each have a player left this week.  I have Ahmad Bradshaw and he has the Rams kicker.  Kickers are oddly dangerous, but I have to be favored to pull out the victory.  It really is too bad I benched Steve Smith last week, but now I have to grab the win this week.

Cali Not Keepers 

Peppermill High Rollers (112) - Team Racquetballer (101)

Last week it was Clarkster who felt my wrath.  This week, it is Clarkster's brother.  The week is over, neither of us have players left tonight.  2-0 and well on my way to defending my title- this year with actual "good" players rather than the rag-tag bunch of losers I won with last year!

Friends and Family 

CORE (155) - O'Doyle Rules! (97)

Phillip Rivers + Vincent Jackson + Miles Austin + Burner Turner + Javid Best = Victory

Do I really need the NY Giants' defense tonight?  No, I do not.  But is it fun to run up the score?  Yes, why yes it is.  Mark Ingram missed the "everyone score 20+ points party" this week.  Get with the program, kid!

---

Other thoughts on the NFL this week:

- Tony Gonzales still has it.  Many believed he was getting old.  Well, he is getting old, but he can still ball.
- G$'s Redskins are 2-0.  Unfortunately, they tried to give the game away multiple times yesterday against a lackluster Cardinals team.  I don't see this run lasting much longer.
- The Detroit Lions are legit.  They are scary.  Apparently, they just needed to fire Matt Millen as GM to build a good team.  Who would've thunk it?
- What is there to say about the Niners?  They let a very winnable game get away against the Cowboys.  I must say they are an improvement over the Singletary Niners, but they don't know how to close out games just yet.  I believe Harbaugh is improving the culture, though. 
- Wow Raiders.  Five Bills' TDs on their last five drives?  Now that's a more dramatic way to lose a game.  The Silver and Black know how to lose in style.  Ryan Fitzpatrick is a valuable fantasy QB.  Seriously.
- I was wrong about Cam Newton.  I did not believe he would be a successful NFL QB.  I am already certain I was wrong about that.  He still needs to learn how to win games, but that is going to come.  Carolina should run the ball a little bit more, though.  It's not like Cam is Mike Ditka!  He can't do it all by himself!
- Ouch, Ravens.  Nice hangover game.  Apparently beating the Steelers is their version of drinking a bottle of Wild Turkey all by themselves.  Hydrate and get back on the field next week.
- Michael Vick got injured in Week 2 and may not play next week.  Shocker.  I did not see that one coming. Oh, wait.  Yes I did.  I think it was Al Michaels who said Vick was "the biggest sports star/hero in Atlanta history."  Riiiight.  So no one on the Braves (Smoltz, Glavine, Maddux, Bobby Cox, Chipper Jones, Dale Murphy, or even Terry Pendelton) is bigger even after they won a World Series for Atlanta.  How's about Dominique Wilkens?  Hell, at least Spud Webb won a dunk contest for the city.  What has Michael Vick won in the Atlanta area?  Answer: probably a lot of dogfights. 

---

Another entertaining week in the NFL.  Well played.  Go Ahmad Bradshaw!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think thàt I agree with Al. Atlanta is a Falcons town first and foremost and did you see all those assholes wearing their old Vick jerseys last night?

Never mess with Olin Kreutz.

I'll only say this about the Skins...they would have lost that game any of the last three seasons. They're going in the right direction.

Don't quit. Done even quit.--what Emmitt Smith thought that Jimmy V's quote was.

I'm not going to let you walk away from this so figure it out. I can live with half-assing.

--$

Prime99 said...

As someone who has previously lived in the Atlanta area when the Braves were good and the Falcons sucked, I will admit that Atlanta is a front-running crowd. Not a Braves or Falcons town (definitely not the Hawks though.) Chris Chandler led them to a Super Bowl appearance though!

Olin probably told the Saints all of Lovie's secret plans.

The 'Skins are going in the right direction, but unfortunately I am not buying them as much this week as I was last week. Monday night will be telling.

Love the Emmitt Smith interpretation of Jimmy V's famous quote. I hate Emmitt for breaking Sweetness's record.

I want to come up with a better schedule. Maybe 3 days a week or something. I'm still figuring it out. I've been having WAY TOO MANY mail-ins recently due to my crazy schedule.

The good news is that Mrs. P. just got a new job. Starts on October 10. Unfortunately, she isn't able to be my Sugar-Momma. No only playing music and drinking for me just yet...