Wednesday, September 21, 2011

90s Rock: Best Songs (Part 2)

A few weeks ago, I posted my Top 5 90s Alternative songs.  Check it out HERE

Today we continue on with more songs for a most impossible list to accurately portray.  I could probably start over and come up with a different list each time.  Oh well- this is about as accurate as NFL Power Rankings or AP College Football Polls, so what the hell?  Let's give it a whirl. 

6) "Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town" by Pearl Jam

One of my favorite softer songs ever.  Pearl Jam brings the emotion in this mostly acoustic song.  "Hearts and thoughts they fade... fade away..."  I'll never get tired of that repetitious chorus. 



7) "Fell On Black Days" by Soundgarden

Soundgarden is great. I admit I don't like them as much as Nirvana or Pearl Jam or Alice In Chains. However, they are still a pretty damn good band. This has to be my favorite song by them. The bended guitar notes in the main riff are perfectly creepy and capture the true tone of the song.



8) "Heavy" by Collective Soul

Another band that has a plethora of respectable hits, but you'll never find them on my favorite band list. Maybe it is the religious undertones or something that keeps them from being at the top of my list, but even still I definitely do enjoy a majority of their catalog. This dirty rock song is one of the best. Those phased out guitar effects are tits.



9) "Don't Look Back In Anger" by Oasis

I love me some Oasis. I also happen to believe that Noel Gallagher is a better singer than his brother Liam. I'm very much looking forward to hearing Noel's solo work that is coming out soon. This song is fantastic and still doesn't get old for me.



10) "Motorcycle Drive By" by Third Eye Blind

This is more of a fan favorite song than a single, but it is still pretty well known. The pushing and pulling of soft versus heavy is flawlessly executed. This song is deserving of a spot in the Top 10.



---

Thoughts? Arguments? Suggestions? Leave it in the comments.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think "Don't Look Back In Anger" is one of the greatest songs in the history of music, let alone in the 90's. "Motorcycle Driveby" is also a spectacular song that is very underrated. All in all I think you've done a pretty good job with your top 10. I will have to put together a top 10 list of my own and see what other similarities and/or differences we have. I recently read that you may be cutting back on your blogging or giving it up altogether. I hope that you re-evaluate that decision. Prime 99 and the Money Shot have become a part of my daily routine. Team Lupus is a juggernaut in msfl! I don't like the team name, but that team looks to dominate the Money Shot Football League.

Anonymous said...

Buke? Is that you?

I don't care much for 0asis but DLBIA and Don't Go Away are tremendous songs.

I, Too, used to think that Collective Soul was just fine for what they are until "December" was on the radio and she knew all the goddamn words. Collective Soul officially sucks now.

--$

Anonymous said...

She would be She$. And she listens to awful shit.

Prime99 said...

Thanks for the comment/encouragement Anon (or if it is Buke- nice to communicate with ya! It's been a long time since 4th grade.)

Oasis is the shit. You need to deal with that G$.

If our wives listened to good music, they'd wear plaid and have butt acne on their faces. They get a pass for listening to bad music. I once realized this at a Radiohead concert in the early 2000s. Hot girls (typically) don't listen to alt-rock.