Friday, September 2, 2011

Friday Rant

Wow- I have been distracted by Fantasy Football this week!  It is funny to think about how many times I'd ever been to HoustonTexans.com before I drafted Arian Foster in two leagues (0), vs. how many times I've been there now (how do I make the infinity sign with my keyboard?)  Needless to say, I am concerned.  However, I'm thinking he will be ok in the end.  If he misses a week or two, I can weather the storm... no longer than that though!

It is sad to say, but Fantasy Football has been my reality this week so I'm not sure what else I have to talk about.  The only cure for this writer's block is a horrible bulleted list.

- Carlos Zambrano will start getting paid again on September 11.  Coincidence?  I think not.  However, he will not pitch again for the Cubs this season.  And really, what would be the point in letting him?  Maybe he gets closer to earning contract bonuses or worse- activating an extra year built into his contract?  Yeah- there is no way the Cubs should allow his fat fucking lard ass to touch the dirt at Wrigley Field again (well, unless he's a member of the Astros or something.)  Continuing to cheer on Zambrano would be ignorant and I will not participate any longer.  I gave him more than a fair shot to win me over and he has failed epically.

Poor Big Z, he only gets $19 million a year to pitch on a bad team.
- Lance Briggs has "demanded that the Bears trade" him.  Wow.  Haven't we seen this move before?  Didn't he say he would "never play for the Bears again" back in 2007?  My boy from Sacramento is making it harder to cheer for him as well.  If you are unhappy about the fact the Bears were nice enough to front-load your contract, then 1) you shouldn't have agreed to it and 2) you should've brought this up to the team the SECOND the lockout ended.  You will find no sympathy here, Lance.  Matt Forte has beef- he was going to get paid less than $1 million to be the feature back on a team that just went to the NFC Championship game.  You have already made millions, agreed to a 6 year deal, and are trying to create leverage when you have none.  Don't do it... you might join Ced Benson on the Bungles.

"Two snaps in Z formation." -- Men On Football, In Living Color
- Colin Cowherd is a moron.  Why in the world do I listen to this guy, ever?  It is probably because I don't have internet radio in my car and cannot continue to listen to Waddle and Silvy on ESPN 1000 in Chicago while I drive to work.  This guy claimed that all the East Coast teams are good because crazy fans demand it.  He generalized across all sports and even though, time after time, he tells people to be rational, he encouraged fans to be crazy lunatics because owners and GM's will hear them on sports talk radio and improve the team.  Sure...

1) The San Francisco Giants just won the World Series.  They followed that up by going out and getting the best offensive acquisition they could find (Carlos Beltran) and they still can't score runs to save their lives (just like last year.)  I have never heard more venom on sports talk radio than I hear about the current state of the Giants.  PS- you just won a World Series.  Chill out.  I don't think people irrationally complaining has helped the Giants, nor do I think they try harder just because fans complain.  Brandon Belt would've come up earlier if that was the case.

2) The San Francisco 49ers were the dominant team in the 80s.  People out here are nuts about the Niners.  They are dying inside that the Niners continue to suck.  The franchise was healthy when they had an innovative head coach (Bill Walsh), followed him with competent coach (Seifert and Mooch) and guess what?  Putting Dennis Erickson in as head coach cripple the organization into making a series of bad coaching hires.  Do crazy fans have anything to do with this?  No.

3) If crazy fans helped teams on the East Coast, the Buffalo Bills would be good.

My point is that Cowherd is an idiot (you knew that) and that geographic quality of franchises have less to do with crazy fans, and more to do with good organizational infrastructure.  Sure, fans buying merchandise and tickets help keep teams healthy financially, but there is no coordination between passionate (read as: crazy) fans and success.  If that were the case, the Cubs would've won a World Series years ago. 

So there is my Friday rant.  Have a great Labor Day and I'll see you back here on Tuesday.

5 comments:

Observer said...

If having devoted fans really meant that much, the following teams would be much better: the Cubs, Dodgers, Raiders, Islanders, Maple Leafs, Canadiens, and the Flames. Is it a coincidence most of those are salary-capped hockey teams? Maybe the real reason for east coast success is money. Competition might be a factor, too. There are more "local" teams for a fan in the northeast to choose from than out west.

Sports talk show hosts raise interesting questions, but anyone with half a brain can out think those guys.

Prime99 said...

The reason Cowherd made (makes?) me angry is because he preaches rational thought from sports fans, then blew that all away with this argument by encouraging people to be crazy. I think he was literally fan-bombing his competition from local markets.

Money is definitely a helpful factor, but the Cubs and Redskins have money, and they are both awful. Sometimes, the management is to blame and no fan can do anything about that.

GMoney said...

You leave my Redskins out of this. Mike Lombardi picked us to win the East this year! Someone is drinking the Grossman Juice (that is disgusting)!

Lance Briggs is probably one of the biggest assholes in sports. Maybe he should go total another Lambo and then flee the scene. I read last night about this and the link next to the story about it said "Has no power". That made me laugh.

Prime99 said...

Not one person has picked the Bears to do anything. It depresses me.

You know exactly what I'm saying about the 'Skins is true. IMO, though, they actually HAVE put some of the right people in there with Shanny their relatively new GM. I feel like they are going in a positive direction, and I hope the Cubs make a good GM hire to do the same.

Prime99 said...

Oh, and Lance is an asshole. I almost put a pic of his crashed Lambo up for this post. I'm beginning to hate him. I pretty much have a love/hate relationship with all of my teams now.