Thursday, September 8, 2011

NFL Predictions 2011

Lonely Jay Cutler thinks my predictions are average.
Today is the day.  The first game of the NFL season occurs today and I am beyond ready for it.  From having some worry during the offseason that this day could've been delayed, to being certain that we are getting grown-ass men knocking each others' teeth out- I couldn't be happier.  The only unfortunate thing about this year's Week 1 is that I won't be in Reno to enjoy it (and bet on the games.)  Though, let's be honest, betting on the NFL's Week 1 is actually pretty damn difficult.  It is not for the faint of heart. 

So let's start with the AFC because I like that conference less. 

AFC East

1) New England - I cannot pick against Tom Brady.
2) New York Jets - They should be decent, but I'm not high on them.
3) Buffalo Bills - Better... but not playoff worthy!
4) Miami Dolphins - Could be the worst team in the league.  Reggie Bush deserves this team.

AFC South

1) Houston Texans - It is hard not to jump on this bandwagon with Peyton Manning being out (for the moment, at least.) 
2) Indianapolis Colts - I'm assuming Manning will be back in a few weeks.  The rest of this division is wretched. 
3) Tennessee Titans - CJ wills this team to 6 wins.
4) Jacksonville Jaguars - They cut David Garrad and MoJo Drew claims he is tougher than Jay Cutler- which he is not.

AFC West

1) San Diego Chargers - "This should be their year to make noise." -- Everyone for the last 5 years
2) Oakland Raiders - They won't be good, but this division is terrible also. 
3) Kansas City Chiefs - The Chefs will take a step back.  Way to get your QB a cracked rib in the fourth preseason game, Todd Haley.
4) Denver Broncos - Choosing Orton as their starting QB was a good start.  John Fox will improve this once great franchise over the next few years. 

AFC North

1) Baltimore Ravens - As per usual, the Ravens and Steelers will make the playoffs.  Either can win the division and I'm giving the nod to the Ravens in this set of predictions. 
2) Pittsburgh Steelers - Their defense is great and their offense is good enough.  They will be in the mix once again. 
3) Cleveland Browns - They should be much improved and will beat the Bungles twice.
4) Cincinnati Bengals - I would not put an 0-16 season past this team. 

Onward to my favorite conference- the NFC:

NFC East

1) Philadelphia Eagles - Similar result as last year- they'll win the division and not get a bye in the playoffs.  Vick will miss at least three weeks this season.
2) Dallas Cowboys - Anything will be better than last year.  Romo should be improved, but don't count on him to be "clutch."
3) Washington Redskins - I watched them in the preseason and was impressed with their efficiency on offense.  I want the Sex Cannon to succeed.  Maybe I'm slightly bias, but I think they'll be better than most people believe.
4) New York Giants - Someone call the ambulance from Madden '93!  This team needs it already.  I could see them finishing third, but I'm definitely losing faith in this team.

NFC South

1) New Orleans Saints - I put a lot of my Fantasy Football eggs in the Drew Brees/Marques Colston basket.  Let's do this fellas!
2) Atlanta Falcons - They should be tough once again.  They will not be the #1 seed in the NFC like they were last year, though.
3) Tampa Bay Bucs - They will regress HARD this year.  The Panthers and Bucs will have similar records.
4) Carolina Panthers - I don't like this team and I hate Cam Newton at QB.  I do like Ron Rivera as the coach though.  Should bring them tough D if he manages to keep his job for a few years.

NFC West

1) St. Louis Rams - Who else can I pick?  This division sucks.
2) Arizona Cardinals - Second place in this division is probably worth 5 wins.
3) Seattle Seahawks - Tavaris Jackson at QB?  Why are they not picked to be last?
4) San Francisco 49ers - Oh right, because the Niners are in this division.  I hope Harbaugh has a master plan to get Andrew Luck.  That would be awesome.

NFC North

1) Green Bay Packers - It's the right pick, but it hurts my soul.
2) Chicago Bears - Could be a homer pick.  I think the Bears will be good.  Their schedule is tough out of the gate, though.  Falcons, Saints, and Packers are the first three weeks.  Sack up and Bear Down!
3) Detroit Lions - Much improved team.  They get scarier each year.
4) Minnesota Vikings - I thought Donovan McNabb would help the 'Skins last year.  In fact, he helped a little... then got benched and I have no idea what happened from there.  My point is- the Vikings won't be good.

PLAYOFFS:

AFC Wildcard - Chargers beat Steelers, Ravens beat Jets
NFC Wildcard - Falcons beat Eagles, Cowboys beat Rams

Next round:

AFC - Patriots beat Chargers, Texans beat Ravens
NFC - Packers beat Cowboys, Saints beat Falcons

Conference Championships:

AFC - Patriots beat Texans
NFC - Saints beat Packers (in a re-match of tonight)

Super Bowl:

PATRIOTS beat Saints

We'll see if these predictions are worth a damn.  I'm just excited to get this season started tonight.  I'm looking for a Saints victory- 35 - 24. 

4 comments:

GMoney said...

We're pretty damn similar! Although I find your lack of faith in the Bills disturbing!

Prime99 said...

I think some of my picks are biased toward my fantasy drafting. I'm sure reading your material every day creates some sort of bias, but made these picks based on what I really think we'll go down. I'll probably be wrong.

The Bills pick befuddles me, though. I can't see any scenario where they are good.

Observer said...

The Niners won't get Luck, unfortunately. I'd pick the Cardinals over the Rams because I like Kolb/Fitz better than Bradford/Anyone, and because SJax has been ridden into the ground every year.

Seattle and Miami could be competing over the first pick. If MoJo goes down, throw Jacksonville in there too.

Fearless prediction: Alex Smith has a couple good games that make the constant disappointment of the rest of his performances sting even more.

Prime99 said...

I like your fearless prediction. I'm not a Niner fan and I even I remember a savage bootleg run by Alex Smith on a Thursday night vs. Seattle a few years ago as his best highlight ever. I actually thought he'd be pretty good after seeing that. I was wrong.

MoJo is one of my least favorite players now. I can't believe he went to high school down the street from me. Demetrius Williams and DJ Williams seemed cooler.