Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Fantasy Football- Draft #2

G$ and his hoard of commenters were nice enough to include this West Coast guy in their auction draft last night.  Having never participated in an auction draft before, I was excited but nervous going in.  I mean, I really didn't know exactly what I was doing, but figured I'd go in with a loose plan and figure it out from there. 

I wanted to get one of the top RB's and preferably Drew Brees or Phillip Rivers.  $102 later (out of $200), I was the proud owner of Arian Foster ($61) and Drew Brees ($41.)  I'm unsure if I overpaid for these guys, but I was happy with myself and that's all the matters- right?!  Other big/mediocre acquisitions to my team were:

Ahmed Bradshaw - $23
Marques Colston (double points!) - $20
Matt Ryan - $13 for a great back up QB
Santana Moss - $7
Pierre Garcon - $7
Steve Smith (CAR) - $5
Plaxico Burress - $5

Admittedly, my biggest weakness are my back up RB's.  I have no depth at RB.  Toby Gerhert, Marion Barber, and Ronnie Brown put me in a position to need a #1 RB to go down with injury before any of these guys get serious minutes.  Unless they are stealing touchdowns (very possible), these guys will ride the bench.  Smith and Plax have upside at the FLEX position. 

Jimmy Graham, Chargers D, and Robbie Gould round out my starters.  I also have Brent Celek on the bench.

No matter what the outcome is, I had a lot of fun participating in an auction draft.  G$ and Co. brought it with their funny/sick/stupid comments throughout.  I'm sure G$ will weigh in on his team and my team.  I'm interested to find out what the one-time champion's thoughts are on my team.

Last, for any of you SF Giants fans out there- your team is awful.  In no way should the Cubs come into your house and abuse your team.  The Cubs are throwing your team on a pinball machine and abusing them like they are Jodie Foster.  The funny thing is, I actually want the Giants to make the playoffs!  It would make things more interesting, just like last year.  Take control, Gigantes!  San Francisco has no hope in the 49ers, so you must turn this around ASAP!

5 comments:

Observer said...

I really like your top two, but as you mentioned grabbing those two elite guys leaves you short at depth. Should be a good team though, especially if Smith can produce like he's capable of.

My normal strategy is to wait for the overspenders to blow their load, and then swoop in and grab a few $35-$40 players. That...did not happen in my draft. Turns out everyone was an overspender, so I missed out on the elite guys. At least you avoided my mistake. (Fun fact: it was a two QB league, and Vick and Rodgers went for more than Foster.)

Anyway, here's the non-scrubs from my awful team (Go Alex Smith!):
$33 Miles Austin
$30 Mike Wallace
$29 Shonn Greene
$29 Peyton Hillis
$21 Wes Welker
$21 Matt Schaub
$14 Knowshon Moreno
$6 Kyle Orton
$5 Lance Moore
$2 Alex Smith

As for the Giants, you should read what McCoveyChronicles said about the decision to walk Tyler Colvin to load the bases. Hilarious. The worst thing about winning the World Series is that Bochy and Sabean got to keep their jobs.

Prime99 said...

Interesting strategy there, Observer. I could've done without Arian Foster (not mad that I got him, though) but I needed an "elite" QB (I use the word "elite" for G$.)

If Schaub is solid, I think your team looks good. How many teams are in this league?

Bochy probably deserves another year or two, but I am beyond sick of Sabean. He and Jim Hendry should vacation together.

Observer said...

12 teams.

I hate Sabean and the offenses he builds, but at least the Giants have been able to draft and develop pitching. I was mildly impressed when he traded Molina when it became clear Bochy would never start Posey with him on the roster.

Bochy is just terrible and I hope he dies.

GMoney said...

Prime, I don't like the idea of you spending $13 on a guy who you will probably only start once. That's really the only headscratcher. I love your WR depth. Although Arian's hammy might be a bigger problem than you want it to be.

I look like this:

QB - Rodgers $60, Orton $2
RB - MoJo $49, Hillis $29, Hightower $12, Jennings $3, DeMarco Murray $2
WR - Welker $20, Lloyd $12, Sims-Walker, James Jones, Meachem
TE - Hernandez and Moeaki
K - Rackers
D - Ravens

I can live with this. As soon as Felix Jones goes down for the season in week 2, I'll be looking REALLY good.

Prime99 said...

I somewhat agree with you on the $13 for Matt Ryan, however, the person that was bidding with me gave up and ended up getting Josh Freeman for a similar amount. I feel like Freeman will regress this year and it is much better for him not to have Matt Ryan. Also, if Brees gets hurt, Ryan can be a fantastic back up. I would've gone for Cutler had I not picked up Ryan.

Also, you're right about Arian, but I think he'll be fine.

I like your team a lot. It is well rounded with 2 premium guys leading the charge. Hightower was actually a great pick up for you.