Thursday, September 29, 2011

90s Rock: Best Songs (Part 3)

Continuing on from last week- here are more of my favorite 90s songs.  I could probably do this list 100 times and get 100 different lists, but it's still fun to listen to the songs as I attempt the making of the list.

11) "Rosealia" by Better Than Ezra

I still feel like BTE is a highly underrated band.  I know they occasionally stray into a country-ish twang, but how can you go wrong with "Deluxe" or "Friction, Baby?"  Answer: you can't.  "Rosealia" just makes me feel good (wah-o, wah-o, wah... good! [Ok, I know that was lame.])  Seriously though, I am consistently glad when this song comes on and I never change the station if it happens to grace to airwaves on my radio.



12) "This Is A Call" by Foo Fighters

I think nostalgia has a ton to do with this song making the list. I remember when I first heard "Dave Grohl's new band" on the radio. This was the first single and I was blown away. I was still sad about the loss of Kurt Cobain's suicide and Dave Grohl came in to fill the musical void that the absence of Nirvana had created. This song rocks hard and is worth a careful re-listen to realize just how fantastic it really is.



13) "Plowed" by Sponge

Sponge had a few hits, but none of them are quite as good as this song. It starts with a sick lead guitar line and never lets up until it concludes. Say a prayer for me and anyone else from the 90s that happened to be in a mosh pit during this song.



14) "My Name Is Jonas" by Weezer

How great is this song?! So simple, yet with so much depth. Much like "Rosealia," this song just makes me feel better in any context. Weezer bring catchy hooks- it's what they do best.



"Perfect" by Smashing Pumpkins

They have so many great songs, but this one stands out to me. It is a melancholy love song with a very weird video that I can't say is all that great. The song, however, is my favorite in the entire catalog of Smashing Pumpkins (which of course, contains many other great songs.) Enjoy this awful music video.



---

I've got five more for next week. I really do love talking about 90s music, even if it is impossible to make a truly accurate list, I stand behind all of these songs as awesome.

2 comments:

GMoney said...

Last night's baseball = tremendous

That's all I've got. I'm too focused on the series with the Tigers.

Prime99 said...

I'm jealous that you have meaningful baseball left to watch. Baseball has been dead to me since June.