Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Let's Talk TV

For starters, I was unable to overcome the 5 point deficit against the Boston Teabags yesterday.  Rex Grossman was not terrible enough to make get me over the top.  Oh well.  I'm 2-1 in that league and I have a feeling my team will be just fine.  I would've beaten every other team in the league.  Fucking fantasy football.

Let's talk some TV today.  I'm not even going to pretend I have time to watch and critique all the new shows that are coming out this Fall, but I will talk about the shows I've watched thus far.  Feel free to make suggestions in the comments.  And yes, I know I'm an asshole for being behind on "Breaking Bad" and "Mad Men."  I'll catch up one of these days on both shows. 

"Person Of Interest" - This is, by far, the best new show I've seen this year.  Mrs. P. and I recorded it on Thursday and finally got around to watching it on Sunday.  It is one sick-ass show.  Jesus (Jim Caviezel) and Ben Linus from LOST (Michael Emerson) star in a mix of James Bond, Mission Impossible, and Enemy of the State. 

Essentially, Jim Caviezel plays a former government agent that has gone off the deep end after he lost the love of his life.  In the first episode, he shows up as an ass-kicking hobo that eventually gets recruited by Michael Emerson to stop bad events from happening.  Emerson is a man with infinite wealth who created a machine that spits out Social Security numbers of people who are about to be involved in a murder/crime.  They don't know if those numbers mean they are the victim, the perpetrator, or just an accomplice.  I recommend this show more highly than drinking a Four Loko- which would probably get you drunk, high and potentially kill you.  My point is- watch this show!

Jim Caviezel in "Person Of Interest."
"Terra Nova" - I watched this show last night while doing homework and laundry (it was 2 hours long!)  I have a feeling it will be a good show, but I can't give it the full stamp of approval just yet.  The premise is as follows: In the 22nd century, the Earth and the human race are badly damaged.  Somehow, they find a way to go back 85 million years to when dinosaurs existed, and start a colony of people who hope to change the course of history (so that, theoretically, the Earth will not be so damaged in the 22nd century.)  I think this time portal was not negotiable meaning, it was either 85 million years or nothing (otherwise, why not just go back to 1960 or something?) 

Despite the odd premise, the upside is that there are fucking dinosaurs running around in a lush environment (which I guarantee they are trying to make the show look like LOST aesthetically.)  The show looks great and even incorporated interesting mysteries right off the bat (which I won't ruin in case you haven't seen it.) 

Stephen Lang was an interesting casting choice as he is playing a slightly more grounded version of his character from "Avatar."  We don't know his motivations just yet, but I'm hoping they can make me, as a viewer, forget about "Avatar."  Currently, the lush environment coupled with Stephen Lang being a subtle warlord is doing anything but making me forget about his past role on Na'vi.  I'm going to stick with it for the moment, though. 

"Dinos? I've been doing coke and watching snuff films for 18 hours straight.  They are no match for me!"
"Fringe" - This isn't a new show!  I know, I know.  I'm just going to recommend that people could start watching the show right now.  They've hit a point in the story that sort of rebooted the show, and right now could be a good time to start watching.  Much like X-Files, they solve cases each week, but have an over-arching story that builds during the course of the season.  The first episode was solid and it will continue to impress.

"You don't watch 'Fringe?' Fine- it's on!"
"Free Agents" - I caught part of this show by accident.  It was actually somewhat decent.  Hank Azaria stars in a comedy about a recently divorced sales guy who has recently slept (I think) with one of his co-workers.  It was nice to see Hank out in front of the camera after so many years of doing stellar voices on "The Simpsons."  The tone of the show was pretty decent, but I'm really not sure it will stick for a long-term run on television.  I would rate it above average and it could be worth a chance. 

Pssst... Dexter is coming back this week... So sick...

And thus ends my brief reviews of some new TV shows.  "Person Of Interest" is definitely the winner from what I've seen this Fall season.  I couldn't recommend a show any more highly. 

2 comments:

GMoney said...

Anything that is up against MNF is doomed to fail and will never be watched by me.

I don't think that I have any new shows that I'm watching this Fall now that I think about it. The wife was watching Whitney the other night...that show is awful. I can't stand laugh tracks.

Do you watch The Big C? Great season finale last night. It was never a show that I looked forward to because Laura Linney seems annoying to me, but after each episode I would be like "that was pretty damn good".

If Dexter doesn't kill the dreadful Colin Hanks this year, we riot.

Prime99 said...

I always forget about that pesky time change. Terra Nova comes on right after MNF out here. Perfect way to unwind after a Rex Grossman fumble to end a game (I've been there before.)

I don't watch the Big C. We don't get Showtime so I have to resort to alternative methods in order to watch their programming.

I'll be with you on the front line if Colin Hanks doesn't meet a fantastic doom this season.