Monday, July 18, 2011

That Was Quick

The weekend disappeared faster than the US Women's Soccer Team's chances against Japan at a World Cup Championship.  That being said, it was a fairly productive weekend for me.  Let's go to the highlights:

Friday:

I was scheduled to play in Danville from 8-11pm (I'm a musician- remember?)  Across the way, there was a Michael Jackson cover band playing and there was no chance I could begin my solo acoustic solo until they were done because I was outside and their bass and drums would have ruined the music I would have put into the universe.  So I waited...

And waited...

I texted Mrs. P. (she was not at the show) and informed her of the situation.  At this point it was probably 8:30.  Mrs. P. texted me back with a pretty hilarious text-

"Fuck MJ, he's dead."

Any question as to why I married her should be halted in it's tracks right there.  Tangible evidence of her awesomeness was comically displayed right there. 

I was able to begin around 8:45pm and since I had already lost part of the show to the potential child molesters on the main stage, I decided to play for as long as I could without a break.  I made it until around 10:20, before taking a quick break.  Then I finished out the show.  I really, really love how the people of Danville tip in $5s, $10s, and $20s.  It is absolutely amazing and I am very grateful!

Saturday:

I woke up early and went to the 10am Bobypump class at 24 Hour Fitness.  In no way am I proud that I go to a 80-90% women's weight-training class 2 or 3 times per week, HOWEVER, it is a great work out.  It is an hour long and hits all the muscle groups.  As long as I adjust my weight appropriately, it is quite a strength training regiment that produces results. 

I normally go to the classes in Sacramento, but since I was still in the East Bay, I went to Aimee's class in Concord.  Mrs. P. and I have a joke about how much of a hard-ass Aimee is and she did not disappoint on Saturday.  She corrected my set position before the class even started.  That said, I do think she is my favorite teacher because she has a tough attitude about her, where some of the other teachers can be a little soft and cater toward weaker students.  Feel free to make fun of me as needed.  Just know I'm getting jacked, son! 

Later that day I had a show in Concord.  At some point in the middle of the show, I got in a groove and decided to play all the re-worked Pop and R&B songs I've ever learned all in a row.  The set went like this:

Poker Face (with Disarm worked in at the end of the song)
Firework
Baby One More Time
Pony
Ignition (The Remix)

"I'm guessing the ladies loved it."
And it went on from there.  It seemed to go over quite well with the crowd and the show gained even more momentum from that point.  The people of Concord stepped up their tipping game as well and once again, I am extremely grateful!  Another fun and productive show in the books.

Sunday:

I saw the end of the Women's World Cup Final and wow- that was a terrible game.  I'm not sure why we as a nation or possibly as a world translate natural disasters into an attitude of, "Well, they deserved to win because xyz happened to their country."  Natural disasters have less to do with sports than Arnold Schwarzenegger has to do with his illegitimate children.  Just because 9/11 happened to New York does not mean the Yankees deserve to win the World Series.  Just because Katrina happened to New Orleans does not mean the Saints deserve to win the Super Bowl.  And just because there are earthquakes and tsunamis in Japan, does not mean the Japanese Women's Soccer Team deserves to win the World Cup.  Believe me, when the Ice Age hits Green Bay, WI- I will NOT be cheering for the Packers to win the Super Bowl.  I suppose it can be a good bonus to a sports story that the media will no doubt exploit, but no team deserves anything.  Championships in sports are earned- not deserved.

"But I worked SO hard on my project! I deserve an A!"
The US Team blew a golden opportunity and, in my opinion, choked the game away.  If it makes everyone feel better about the loss, then sure, you can believe that Japan had tsunami created angles above them guiding them to victory, but I'm going to guess mental lapses on defense and God-awful penalty kicks had more to do with the US losing than anything tsunami related. 

The rest of Sunday (for the most part) I caught up on the World Series of Poker's "Live" broadcast on ESPN 2.  I could see where some people are frustrated by the slow moving coverage, but I must say, I LOVE what they are doing this year.  Instead of watching chopped up footage of every all-in hand of the tournament, we get to see how the tournament actually plays out.  I don't know how some of those guys keep their cool in the face of slow moving opponents (like the guy with the Brazilian flag wrapped around himself- that lucky bastard needs to get knocked out ASAP.)  Overall though, it is much more representative of how poker actually works. 

I am also a huge fan of not being able to see the players' cards until after the conclusion of a hand that at least sees a flop.  Trying to put players on hands is fun and interactive television.  It's easy to be an armchair poker player when you see the hold cards the entire time, but much more gratifying when you call a hand or fully understand why a player is doing certain things without seeing their cards.  This version of poker watching is much better. 

Lastly, Antonio Esfandiari is a GREAT poker commentator.  Totally enjoy listening to his thought process and he really gives insight into the game.  He's the poker opposite of Joe Theismann's football commentating. 

And that's pretty much it.  It was a solid weekend, it just went by so quickly.  What weekend doesn't go by too quickly, though? 

4 comments:

GMoney said...

People that like Michael Jackson are terrible people. If Japan deserved a title because of an earhtquake, then MJ definitely deserved to die for fucking kids. There.

I, too, sort of like the format for the WSOP coverage eventhough I didn't think that I would. But I need my Norman Chad making more ex-wife jokes than Terry Bradshaw.

Prime99 said...

I can't argue with that logic. Solid as a rock.

They have gone light on the Norman Chad, which is unfortunate, I think he would add to the coverage, so hopefully he shows up sooner rather than later.

Observer said...

Fuck Michael Jackson cover bands, and fuck Japanese soccer teams. Japan needs to stop worrying about soccer and just focus on producing a decent major league baseball player every year or two. If they really focus the entire athletic output of their country, and maybe throw in a bit of the Fukushima radiation, they could produce an player with Ichiro's speed and bat control that could also hit home runs. How entertaining would that be for American baseball fans? The answer is very. Get on it, Japan.

Prime99 said...

Ratings for today's post and comments:

Hate of MJ - 9/10
Hate of Japan - 8/10
Radiation in Japan still - 10/10
Love of Norman Chad - 6/10 (he needs more loving dammit!)