Thursday, July 7, 2011

Awkward Exchanges On My Week Off

I took this entire week off of work. Look how awesome I am still staying on track and posting here!

Taking days off is not all fun and games, though. I've been running errands to get caught up with my life all the while having odd interactions with people involved. Some are funny. Some, not so funny.

- I took my car in for service. Since my "pre-paid" maintenance has recently run out (essentially, they added money onto my loan to cover the first 5 years of maintenance at a substantial discount) I now have to pay for any services I need to have done. Can you imagine?! Using a credit card for car maintenance?!

Anyway, after the oil and filter change, the service guy comes over and says, "Everything looks great, but did you know you have a fog light out? We can fix it for $76, if you'd like." I think I laughed at him. Not only are the fog lights pretty much useless during Summer- I rarely use them ever. For $76, that services better come with a hand job. I'll find another way to get that changed.

This movie was about
car maintenance, right?


















- I took my cat in to the vet for a vaccination. He was a good boy as he usually is. The funny portion came when we were ready to go. As I was paying for the shot, an older woman came in with her dog. It looked like one of her eyes (the woman, not the dog) was jacked up, and she was not talking common sense.

Old lady: I need my dog looked at. (PS: This was after 4pm.)
Vet desk person: Do you have an appointment?
OL: No- I need my dog looked at.
VDP: We don't have any more appointments today. We can get you an appointment for tomorrow or you can pay the emergency fee of $70 and we'll fit you in between appointments when there is space.
OL: [unintelligible sounds simulating grumbling]
VDP:... I have a 12pm tomorrow. Would you like that?
OL: I just don't know, I think my dog needs a dip- that's what we did last time.
VDP: Did you get a "dip" here?
OL: No, no...
VDP: I didn't think so. We wouldn't do that. Those aren't commonly done these days because they can hurt the dog.
OL: I just don't know if this is urgent enough to wait today or if I can wait until tomorrow!!!
(I'm now thinking- wow, this was so urgent you didn't call ahead of time and you waited until 4pm?! Yikes, lady.)

[They allow a vet to come out, check the dog's face as there was a growth on it, and the vet decided that the appointment could wait until tomorrow. The concern was potential ringworm.]

She left awkwardly and apparently her dogs are highly susceptible to ringworm. Just an odd lady. I kept my cat as far away from her dog as possible!

Cue the Sarah McLachlan.











- I went to pick up my dry cleaning yesterday as it was supposed to be ready on Wednesday. I show up and the older Asian lady greets me. I give her my pick-up slip and say, "I have two suits and seven shirts." She goes back and finds the suits. Then she goes back to find the shirts.

"I only have 3 shirts!" she yells to me.
"Um... you should have 7 shirts," I reply.
"I only have 3 shirts!" she repeats.
"Are you sure, the tag says 7."
"I only have 3 shirts... now. Others ready later."
"Oh, ok. But you didn't lose the shirts- that's good."

Needless to say, I'm going back there today.

- My Gibson J-45 has been a trooper over the last 5 years and I finally found time to ante up and get it completely re-fretted with a brand new bone nut. There was no awkward interaction besides the fact that the entire service cost $400+. I have a feeling it is going to be worth it in the long run. I can't wait to get my baby back in a week and see how it plays. Should be as good or better as when I bought it.

---

Taking the week off is great, but as you can see, is sometimes overrated. I suppose dealing with these odd folks isn't as bad as the 8-5 grind, but damn, they at least make me give it an extra consideration.

5 comments:

GMoney said...

I actually prefer the vacations where I just sit around as opposed to going some place. Doing nothing but dicking around the net while watching movies/TV is paradise. Throw in some a/c and an ice cream sandwich and paradise becomes heaven.

Fog light? What a worthless part.

Prime99 said...

Could agree more. Like Larry David, I'd like to decrease my interaction with people.

Ice cream sandwich... Great idea.

Prime99 said...

*Couldn't agree more.

Wrote the comment from my phone. Phone comments are always more prone to mistakes.

Observer said...

Man, you're more productive on your vacations than I am normally. Running errands?! Ridiculous. My vacation week posts would be about:

The video games I beat.
The beer I drank.
The books I read. (The answer would be zero, because of all the video games and beer.)
The fantasy baseball trades I proposed.
The fantasy baseball trades that were accepted. (The answer would be zero again, because I proposed them all while drunk.)
The number of times I ate a super burrito at 12:30, and passed out on the couch watching daytime talk shows in a food coma.
The whiskey I drank.

Anyway, you should probably relax more. I say, a day you have to leave the house is a day that doesn't count as vacation.

Prime99 said...

Yeah, I'm saving all my alcohol consumption for the weekend. In the meantime, I've been going to weight training classes and organizing my iTunes. Mrs. P. doesn't know how lucky she is to be with such a winner. Ha!