Wednesday, July 27, 2011

90s Rock: Miscellaneous

We all know there are plenty of bands from the 90s that may deserve a mention, but probably do not deserve an entire post written about them.  The Toadies are one such band (even though I did write a post about them awhile back on my other, less anonymous blog.)  So here are some solid tunes from the bands that did not make it to the upper echelon of 90s bands that I enjoy (Nirvana, STP, Pearl Jam, Oasis, AIC, Smashing Pumpkins, etc.) 

Tonic - "Casual Affair"

Tonic comes close to getting their own post, and I'm not saying I'll never flesh out their catalog a bit further, but this song deserves extra special mention because it fucking RAWKS!  Seriously.  The intro is a dirty blues-based hammer and pull on the E string riff that I never get sick of.  If you don't like this, you don't like 90s rock!



Dishwalla - "Counting Blue Cars"

I think most people recognize and enjoy this song. Minor key verse with a soaring chorus. Standard songwriting that will get the job done a majority of the time. I very much enjoy the rest of the "Pet Your Friends" record, but this is the song that really put Dishwalla on the map.



Verve Pipe - "Photograph"

I know everyone knows them from the remixed version of "The Freshman" that wasn't even on the original "Villians" album, but how great is this song?! It was the first single off "Villians" and the organ and bass really shine on this track to create quite the catchy tune. (Apparently not that popular as this was one of the most difficult times I've had finding a decent version of the song on YouTube.)



K's Choice - "Not An Addict"

Just because I jam with the drummer that originally recorded this song, does not make me bias!!! I actually saw them open for Tonic and Verve Pipe in Chicago at the Vic when I was in high school. I bought the CD shortly after and it's quite good. I don't always enjoy women singers, but when I do, I prefer K's Choice.



Lit - "Miserable"

And because you deserve a video featuring Pam Anderson from the 90s, here is Lit's "Miserable." That's a huge bitch! I always preferred this song over "My Own Worst Enemy," but both are pretty good songs to rock out to.



That's it for me today. I hope you enjoyed these great songs from moderately popular 90s bands.

5 comments:

GMoney said...

Moderately popular 90's band that I always enjoyed = Local H, who I believe was a two man band.

Random 90's song that I liked from offbeat band:
The Nixons - Sister

Observer said...

Solid picks. I've been hanging around 90's rock rooms on turntable.fm, and my best go to song for some DJ points so far has been "You" by Candlebox. Other "miscellaneous" songs I throw out for some 90's cred: Bad Religion's "Infected" (because everyone plays 21st Century Digital Boy), "Plowed" by Sponge, "Hey Man Nice Shot" by Filter, or "Birds" by the Butthole Surfers. I thought Electriclarryland was the shit when I was 16, and I might still agree.

Observer said...

The top songs I could be happy never hearing again: Closing Time, Sex and Candy, anything by Cake, POTUSA, Everclear, and Sublime.

Prime99 said...

Local H is SOLID. I also enjoy the Nixons. I think I have complete albums by both bands.

I agree with most of the Observer's picks besides the Butthole Surfers. I could never get into those ass pirates.

I like Sex and Candy and Everclear. The other bands you mentioned can die of auto-erotic-asphyxiation. Especially Sublime. Talk about an overrated band that everyone with an Ed Hardy shirt loves. Ugh.

Prime99 said...

Oh, and Semisonic's catalog is great besides Closing Time which is just overplayed and tired. Someone put it to bed please.