Wednesday, July 20, 2011

90's Rock: Third Eye Blind

I can't believe I haven't taken a look back at these guys before today!  While they did not make my Top 10 list yesterday, I have always like Third Eye Blind quite a bit.  This could stem from the time I met them after they opened for Oasis in San Francisco (this was before they were signed and a year before their debut album was released.)  It could be simply because they have very accessible and catchy hooks to their brand of alternative rock.  Either way, they are the subject of today's look back at the 90's. 

"Losing A Whole Year" - There's really no where else to start.  I love this song.  It's a great opening song that perfectly introduces listeners to 3EB's first record.  I'm not one for bands that rely a lot on streaming lyrics/pseudo-rapping, but these guys could be the exception (and O.A.R. to some extent.)  Anyway, here's a live performance from the Fillmore in 2007:



"Semi-Charmed Life" - I don't always highlight bands' biggest singles, but this one gets a nod because my band in high school used to cover this tune, quite successfully I might add. Has a song about massive drug addiction and dirty sex acts ever sounded as happy as this? I think not:



"Thanks A Lot" - I've always been a sucker for this song. I remember identifying this as a favorite the very first time I saw them. When I mentioned that to their bass player, Arion Salazar, he took it as a huge compliment. He also then went on to promote his other band. I guess even he didn't realize how big Third Eye Blind was about to blow up.



"Motorcycle Drive By" - I have yet to find someone who dislikes this song. It could be their best. I'm not going to lie, for those of you who know my true identity and own my recent CD, track 7 was pretty heavily influenced by this song. When I wrote the tune, it didn't start out that way, but at some point I recognized the similarity and rode with it. I'll continue to enjoy "Motorcycle Drive By" for years to come.



"Wounded" - This use of harmonics and delay on this song is just fantastic. I remember picking this song as a favorite the day their second album, "Blue," was released. It remains one of their best.



"1000 Julys" - This is 3EB's attempt at being AC/DC. This song is obviously influenced by "Back In Black." Rip off or not, I still enjoy it. The song rocks and brings me right back to 1999.



"Slow Motion" (WITH LYRICS) - In one of the greatest puss moves by a record label in the 1990s, "Blue" was released with an instrumental version of this song because of the blood, gun, and drug references throughout the song. You see, the Columbine, CO incident had occurred within the same year and the label felt like this song could lead to another similar incident (I made that up, but seriously, slap a Parental Advisory sticker on the record and chill the fuck out.) Here's a fan made video that features the song as it should have been released.



"Forget Myself" - This is a bonus song. It was released in 2003 and I received this CD as a gift for my college graduation. I immediately loved this song. I imagine the lyrics are somewhat referencing Stephen Jenkins' relationship with actress Charlize Theron. It's worth a listen and I even found a full band acoustic version that I had never heard before. It's great:



For as long as they've been around, my biggest complaint is their lack of albums. It seems like Third Eye Blind takes a LONG ASS time to come out with a record, but when they do, I typically enjoy the results. Another great 90's band that really takes me back.

2 comments:

GMoney said...

I heard "Jumper" on 90's On 9 a few weeks ago...very solid tune.

I can't listen to Semi-Charmed Life anymore. In HS, my buddy played it CONSTANTLY when we would drive around looking for trouble/smoking drugs.

Prime99 said...

"Jumper" is excellent as well. All the singles from their first album are pretty solid. "Graduate" and "How's It Going To Be."

Causing trouble and smoking drugs seem like perfect things to do while listening to "Semi-Charmed Life" LOL.