Wednesday, July 6, 2011

90s Rock: Stone Temple Pilots Deeper Tracks

Since I'm going to see STP in Reno this Friday, I figured I'd go back into their catalog and look at lesser known tracks.  I've already posted about them earlier, but their 90s concoctions are fantastic and deserve a closer look.

"Dead And Bloated" - I'm really hoping they open with this song.  I know it was a mild single, but it never reached popularity of other singles on "Core."  This is probably as close as STP gets to Alice In Chains.  This song has the AIC type vibe. 



"Sin" - Creepy intro that builds into a full blown rock and roll fest. Believe it or not, this was pretty racy stuff for the early 90s! This grainy live version from 1993 gives me chills.



"Naked Sunday" - You want to see a crazy drugged out motherfucker? Check out Scott Weiland at the Reading Festival in 1993. This dude unleashes the siren on his megaphone at the beginning of the song. That megaphone was fully utilized on "Core."



"Unglued" - What a rockin' song! This song kicks fucking ass. I found a live performance on Letterman which leads me to believe they were going to try to release it as a single, but it never caught on. Get past the Christmas wishes and sink your teeth into the good part of the video!



"Pretty Penny" - These guys were so popular that they played "Pretty Penny" on the MTV Awards in '94. The song is badass, but you have to be a HUGE band to talk your way into playing a non-single and decorating the stage in lava lamps on an award show.



"Silvergun Superman" - Yeah, I could for some of this on Friday.



"Pop's Love Suicide" - A poppy-er entry into their catalog, but certainly not suicide. This song rocks, though it is clear that Dean DeLeo got a brand new pedal he was infatuated with that does not sound as cool as the guitar tones used on their first two records.



"Ride The Cliche" - I like this song. The verse riff reminds me of something Aerosmith would rock and the chorus is solid STP. Very underrated tune.



"Heaven and Hotrods" - Structured in similar fashion to "Ride The Cliche" but this song is well worth your time to take a listen. It is easy to forget exactly how awesome these guys are, and I'm finally glad I'm able to see them this Friday.

2 comments:

GMoney said...

OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH...STP gets TWO days!!!

What are the odds that a Scott Weiland relapse cancels that show? 10%? It's definitely something to think about.

Prime99 said...

I have DEFINITELY thought about that. It's a roll of the dice. The good news is that if he cancels due to drugs- we can still play Craps. Very ideal.