Tuesday, July 19, 2011

My Top 10 Favorite Bands

This list is almost impossible to accurately materialize on paper.  Bands come and go in similar fashion to College Football Teams on the various Top 25 rankings during the season.  I am certain that my Top 10 Bands List has changed over the last year or two, so I figured it would be fun and informative (even to myself) to go through this exercise.

I know blogs are their most successful when they are open to debate, but it's hard to tell me that my own opinion of my favorite 10 bands is incorrect.  Instead, bring your list to the comment section and then we can have a debate for interstellar domination.

"How dare you not recognize Bon Iver?!"

Criteria - My criteria is simple- what bands do I continually listen to?  What bands do I rarely, if ever, get sick of?  I recently received an iPad for my birthday (savage!) and I put about 16 GB of music on the iPad out of the 82 GB that I have on my computer.  What bands did I immediately place on the iPad without a second thought?  These factors help indicate to myself what my favorite bands are.  I'm highly aware that this is a very "in the moment" type list.

First, I'd like to give a shout out to Bright Eyes.  Conor Oberst and crew once found themselves as high as #3 on this list and they will not make the Top 10 any longer.  The songs are still good, but the recent Oberst solo albums and the newest Bright Eyes album has lost my interest quite a bit.  Keep on rockin', but Ed Rapuano just pulled the trigger on strike three and you've been sent to the bench.

Honorable mention that missed the cut: The Beatles (I go through phases and they'll always be one of my favorites, but at the moment, I have not been spinning their tunes regularly), Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Alice In Chains, and Guster.

#10 - The Killers

It's possible that no current band embodies the 1990s alternative rock sound more than The Killers.  Brandon Flowers is an odd character, but the quality of their songwriting is hard to deny.  If you're unfamiliar with them (trust me, you're not unfamiliar) start with "Hot Fuss" and rock track #1 "Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine."  You'll immediately know exactly how great this band is.

Favorite Tracks: "I Can't Stay," "Bones," "When You Were Young," "All These Things I've Done," "Smile Like You Mean It."

#9 - Radiohead

Radiohead has fallen from their former spot in my Top 5 because of their recent album "King Of Limbs."  I have yet to connect with that album as I have with all of their previous efforts.  It is next to impossible for me to drop them from the Top 10 based on "The Bends" and "OK Computer" by themselves, and I enjoy the rest of their catalog a lot.  They should watch themselves though.  A guitar driven rock album next would garner much enjoyment from me and many other fans- the weather report on that possibility looks doubtful at best.

Favorite Tracks: "Just," "Airbag," "You," "Optimism," "There There," "Bodysnatchers."

#8 - Foo Fighters

Their new album is stellar.  The new documentary I recently watched made me appreciate them even more.  The ups and downs of the Foo Fighters have made them stronger and increased the quality of their music.  I recently had a conversation debating (all moral issues aside) whether if you had the power to bring back Kurt Cobain and allow Nirvana to continue making music, would you sacrifice the entire Foo Fighters' catalog to do so (because Dave Grohl would have stayed with Nirvana had Kurt Cobain not committed suicide.)  This obviously involves reincarnation and time travel, so it's impossible, but you get the idea.  In the end, I came to the conclusion that I would not risk the Foo Fighters' catalog over the potential music that Nirvana could have released.  That is a strong statement for how good I think the Foos are.

Favorite Tracks: "This Is A Call," "For All The Cows," "Hey, Johnny Park," Stacked Actors," The Pretender," "The Walk."

#7 - Oasis

Oasis has been broken up for awhile, and I think we can agree that their later albums aren't quite as good as their earlier products.  However, "Definitely Maybe" and "(What's The Story) Morning Glory" will always remain as two of my favorite albums ever.  Noel Gallagher is an amazing songwriter who has massively influenced me as a musician.  Now if only they could stop bickering with each other and go back to telling Damon Albarn that they hope he would "catch AIDS and die," well- then maybe they'd start making great music again. 

Favorite Tracks: "Slide Away," "Live Forever," "Don't Look Back In Anger," "Cast No Shadow," "Don't Go Away," "Talk Tonight."

#6 - Muse

Muse is another band that's dropped a few spots on my list recently, but they remain one of the best live acts touring these days.  If you get a chance to see them, do it!  You won't regret it.  They are amazing.  Mixing tons of MIDI tracks with their amazing musicianship is no small feat.  Their overall sound mixes classical music with metal with pop with alternative.  It creates quite the tasty stew.  And does anyone ever get sick of the song "Uprising?"  I think not.

Favorite Tracks: "Sunburn," "Stockholm Syndrome," "Hysteria," "Endlessly," "Starlight," "Knights of Cydonia," Uprising," "Plug In Baby," and so many more.  These "favorite tracks" are impossible!

Beethoven would be jealous of Muse- if he could hear.
#5 - The Damnwells

This is a band on the rise for me, recently.  The songwriting is just SO damn good.  I made sure to grab their entire catalog immediately when I got the iPad and I never get sick of listening to them.  I know they are a lesser know band, but I'm hoping they gain traction and make it bigger.  In the meantime, I'm going to see them in San Francisco next Thursday at a small club and I'm pretty excited about it. I highly recommend checking them out- start with "Air Stereo" and go from there.

Favorite Tracks: "Soundtrack," "Werewolves," "Louisville," "Golden Days," "Electric Harmony," No One Listens To The Band Anymore."

#4 - Wilco

Still one of the best around, Wilco rocks.  I went to see them for my birthday a couple years ago and they were as good as ever live.  They are putting out a new album in September and I can't wait.  The only thing about Wilco is that their music is not as easily accessible as other bands on this list.  It takes work to actively listen to their music.  Once you get it, though, it's totally worth the effort.  Does this make Wilco fans pretentious assholes?  Maybe.  But count me among them.

Favorite Tracks: "Sunken Treasure," "She's A Jar," "Nothing'severgonnastandinmyway(again), "Heavy Metal Drummer," "Jesus, Etc.," Theologians," "Walken," "You Never Know," "You And I."

#3 - O.A.R.

This band has exploded up my personal enjoyment list.  I agree there newer stuff is breaking away from their earlier roots a bit, but I enjoy almost all of it.  In fact, their music typically can put me in a better mood.  This is amazing from a band that is from Ohio State (which thinking about their dirty football program usually puts me in a worse mood.)  I have yet to see them live, but I plan to as soon as they come out West.

Favorite Tracks: "One Shot," "Crazy Game Of Poker," "Heard The World," "Right On Time," This Town," "Something Coming Over," and their new single (the acoustic version) "Heaven."

#2 - Stone Temple Pilots

Yeah, this has everything to do with me seeing them a few weeks ago.  However, it really was such a shot of nostalgia that I have been listening to their music a TON since the show.  In fact, it's driven me to listen to "Shang-ri-la-dee-da" and their newest self titled record, which I was less familiar with previously.  Guess what?  Those albums are amazing as well!  They may drop in the rankings later, but for now they have moved way up there.  No one can ever take away the fact that "Purple" was the first CD I ever owned, and I am proud of that fact.

Favorite Tracks: "Dead & Bloated," "Piece Of Pie," "Meatplow," "Still Remains," "Army Ants," "Big Bang Baby," "Down," "Black Again," "Hello, It's Late," "Hickory Dichotomy."

#1 - Crowded House

The still reigning champ is Neil Finn's band Crowded House.  I've seen them live a number of times and their live shows are fantastic.  Great music and great banter.  The songwriting is really what wins me over.  And Neil's voice could probably make a wolverine purr.  It would be hard for any band to usurp Crowded House as my #1 favorite band and I'll continue recommending them until people finally give in and listen to them!

Favorite tracks: "Mean To Me," "Mansion In The Slums," "Better Be Home Soon," "Fall At Your Feet," "Locked Out," "In My Command," "Distant Sun," "Don't Stop Now," "Twice If You're Lucky," "Elephants."

"We're awesome, but under-appreciated in the US!"
So there it is.  My favorite bands at the moment.  I'm sure it will change in the future, but who doesn't love opinionated power rankings?  I mean, if every sports website can create power rankings for every sport, I suppose I can for music, right?  Let's hear your list in the comments.

4 comments:

Observer said...

Rather than make my own top ten list, which would more effort on my part, I'll copy yours and substitute for the bands I've never really gotten in to: Wilco, Crowded House, OAR, and The Damnwells (although I mean to listen to these bands at some point).

In no particular order:

The Killers - A Dustland Fairytale, Spaceman, Mr. Brightside, Bones

Radiohead - Black Star, Street Spirit, Let Down, Like Spinning Plates, Fog (again), Reckoner, Weird Fishes

Foo Fighters - X-Static, Exhausted, Times Like These, Resolve

Oasis - Live Forever, and, uh, Champagne Supernova? I am not as familiar with Oasis' catalog as I should be based on how good I feel about the few songs I know.

Muse - Bliss, Map of the Problematique, Apocalypse Please, Darkshines

Stone Temple Pilots - Army Ants, Creep, Unglued

Interpol - Hands Away, NYC, Evil, Narc, Take You On a Cruise, Pace Is the Trick

The National - 90 Mile Water Wall, Slipping Husband, Abel, Lit Up, Mr. November, Little Faith, everything on "Boxer"

Neutral Milk Hotel - A one-good-album wonder, but I really like that one album.

Live - I don't think they belong on the all-time list, but I've been listening to Throwing Copper and Secret Samadhi quite a bit recently and really enjoying them.

Prime99 said...

The National deserves honorary mention from me as well. They are really, really good and "Fake Empire" is one of my favorite all time songs.

Interpol is great, but I can't put them in my top group. Doesn't mean I don't like them though. I just know they are a step down for me.

Have never listened to Neutral Milk Hotel, but they were referenced on "Parks & Rec" last season. Maybe I'll check them out soon.

GMoney said...

I don't listen to as much music as I used to...I'm mostly resigned to what I hear at the gym (classic rock). But bands that I've always been quite fond of that you did not list:

Pearl Jam
The Offspring
The Bloodhound Gang
Weezer
Bush
and I love me some Motley Crue

Guns and Roses can get fucked though. I've tried to like them to fall in with the masses, but I just can't. Outside of Civil War and Patience (ballads) ALL of their songs are grossly overrated.

Prime99 said...

PJ and Weezer are the closest of the bands you listed, G$, to making my list. Both are great, but for whatever reason they don't get all the way over the hump for me.

"Smash" by the The Offspring is great. The rest of their albums can get fucked.

Bush started off SO well! What happened to those guys? They fell off steadily, which is very disappointing.

Agreed on G N R. Though, I'm probably not as fond of 80s hair rock as you, but I can appreciate the great songs that came out. G N R is overrated.