Wednesday, July 13, 2011

90s Rock: Soundgarden

While Stone Temple Pilots' "Purple" was the first CD I owned, Soundgarden's "Superunknown" was CD numero dos.  That being said, for whatever reason I don't have the deep knowledge of all their songs as I do with other 90s Alternative bands.  I'm sure I can come up with a respectable list, but make sure you add in anything I may have missed.

"Rusty Cage" - Let's start with a sick number that even Johnny Cash covered before he passed away. The guitar is frantic and Chris Cornell shows off the kind of vocals the rest of the world was in store for when listening to Soundgarden. Check the tape:



"Outshined" - Another single off of "Badmotorfinger," this song has slivers of pop influence in between the rock. You can hear that the band wants to kick ass, but still has a very adept songwriting ability.



"Let Me Drown" - Now we're fucking talking! This could be my favorite Soundgarden song of all time. It is a perfect opener for the record (and probably for shows as well.) It wasn't a single, but this song kicks motherfucking ass. It seriously makes me want to mosh right now.



"Limo Wreck" - Another lesser known song off of "Superunknown." "Limo Wreck" plods along until you Chris Cornell belts out his signature high notes that send shivers down many a 30-40 year old.



"Fell On Black Days" - This was actually a single- a dark single, but a single nonetheless. Everything about this song is fantastic. The instrumentation is great, the singing is great, it is quite a flawless song.



"The Day I Tried To Live" - Hey, I know everyone likes "Black Hole Sun" or "Spoonman" and while those are great songs, I prefer to listen to these every time if given an either/or choice. By the time Chris Cornell goes call and response with himself in the chorus, my ears thank my brain for decided to put this song on. So sick.



"Burden In My Hand" - This is probably my favorite song from "Down On The Upside." Check out this acoustic version done by Chris Cornell at a solo show. Mind blowing.



"Preaching The End Of The World" - I know, I know. This isn't even Soundgarden. The song is fucking awesome and pretty appropriate considering all the Rapture and Mayan prediction talk. Who knew there was an official video for this song? Not me, that's for sure.



I hope you enjoyed a look back at another great band from the 90s.

6 comments:

Observer said...

I don't know Soundgarden all that well, but "The Day I Tried To Live" was always my favorite single. "Black Hole Sun" is good, but I think it was only as popular as it was because of the weird stretchy-face CGI in the video.

Prime99 said...

I agree that Soundgarden is quite on the level with STP, Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Alice In Chains, but Superunknown is one excellent album. Totally agree with you on the "Black Hole Sun" video. It very much helped the song's popularity.

GMoney said...

Damn you, Observer, I was going to drop The Day I Tried To Live! I like Ty Cobb from that same album as well.

Soundgarden is unique because they don't really sound like anybody before them and nobody really sounded like them after. I'm not sure if that's good or bad. I hear that they are touring again though which is badass.

Prime99 said...

I put "The Day I Tried To Live" in the post! That song and "Ty Cobb" are not on the same album, "Ty Cobb" is from "Down On The Upside." Good song, though.

Soundgarden should play in Reno.

Prime99 said...

Just checked and they are playing in Tahoe a week from today! Too bad I'm going to have to pass, I think it would be a great show.

GMoney said...

I meant "Blow Up The Outside World". Poop in your fist.