Tuesday, July 26, 2011

NFL Is Back... It's Back!

The most dominant professional sports league in the US (possibly the world?- someone do some research and get back to me!) is back in business.  I've tried my very best to tune out football news these last few months because most of it revolved around the Lockout, which is dumb.  Like I give a flying fuck about the owners and players participating in a game of wits involving a CBA and iocaine powder. 

"Inconceivable!"
So now that the off-field nonsense is over, we can get back down to real business.  What in holy hell are the Bears going to do to get back to the playoffs?!  I know the Packers were a better team last year, but when your team gets to the NFC Championship game, you tend to get a little greedy... well, at least I do! 

Here are some smart moves the Bears can start with:

Offensive Line - I don't care who the actual names are, just get Jay Cutler some help.  Call him a pussy, he was certainly tough enough to last most of the season behind an offensive line that were less like a wall and more like a group of matadors.

B.J. Raji pictured getting through the Bears' O-Line.
Obviously, this has to be fixed immediately.  I can't help but think this would not only help Jay Cutler become a more effective QB, but it would also help Matt Forte immensely.  Forte is a dynamic back that has yet to put two great seasons together back-to-back.  He could do it this year if the O-Line is improved. 

Do not sleep on the Defense:

Just because the Bears' D was good last year, does not mean they will automatically be good this year.  Of course, Brian Urlacher, Lance Briggs, and Julius Peppers are back, but the Bears have quite a few unrestricted free agents that need to be re-signed or replaced.  I'm also interested to see Stephen Paea debut with the Bears.  He set the World Record of benching 225 lbs. 49 times at the combine and while this means nothing on the actual football field, it's still impressive and means he can probably move around some opponents' Offensive Linemen.  I'm not sure of the exact moves that need to be made, but the Bears must continue to back up their reputation as a hard-nosed Defensive team. 

Wide Receivers, pretty please:

My pick for the Bears is Sidney Rice.  The Vikings stole Bernard Berrian away from the Bears a few years ago and it's about time we return the favor by stealing one of theirs.  Rice is a big, strong receiver that can help Cutler by wrestling away potential INTs from opposing Defensive Backs or just reaching balls that smaller receivers could not.  If not Rice, then it would make sense to explore Plaxico Burris (maybe not a possibility for the Bears) or Santanio Holmes (also, probably a long shot.)  Do NOT get enticed by Randy Moss or T.O.  They are past their prime and will NOT mesh well with Cutler.  That scenario would go about as well as a dinner party where Larry David is invited. 

Even Larry David knows Moss or T.O. would be train wrecks.
Apparently the Bears have also gotten rid of Brad Maynard.  This is a horrible decision and I'd like to be the first Bear fan to say that this move will come back to them at some point during the season.  The Bears have been spoiled by Brad Maynard's magnificent punting- especially with to the Bears' ability to go three-and-out so often.  Find another good punter ASAP, fellas. 

That's really it.  I'm still grasping all the moves that need to be made, but that should give a solid base for what the Bears need.  How about your team?  If you're a Niner fan, you may need the team to go 1-15 in order to ensure acquiring Andrew Luck.  What say you? 

I'm just excited that NFL is back.

3 comments:

Observer said...

Sidney Rice would be great for any offense. I would pass on Plaxico. I can't imagine being locked in a cell is good for your conditioning. Randy Moss and T.O. are both past their prime and too whiny and spoiled to admit it.

I know, as a Niners fan, I'd be sad if Andy Lee was let go. It really says something about your team when you would miss your punter, your long reliever in baseball, or your backup goaltender in hockey. You really never want to see those guys.

GMoney said...

Forte is a dynamic back that has yet to put two great seasons together back-to-back.

--Wouldn't "inconsistent" be a more apt description than "dynamic".

I've read that they want Santana Moss. You could do a lot worse but you could probably do much better, too.

Prime99 said...

Agreed Observer- the fact I even brought up the punter is a problem.

I heard about Santana Moss after I wrote this and I pretty much agree. My biggest problem with him is that the Bears need a physically large receiver. They don't need another 6' tall guy to allow Jay Cutler picks.

I think dynamic and inconsistent both describe Forte. I'm hoping to drop the inconsistent portion this year.