Friday, July 22, 2011

Fantasy Baseball Friday

Another week passes, another trade has been made.  I announced to the league that I'm in full "fire sale" mode at 5-10 (I won last week during the short week with a 16th inning save by Jon Papelbon.)  My goal is to improve my keepers as much as possible, which means everyone is expendable besides my top 5 guys (we get 6 keepers, so I'd obviously be willing to trade players 6 and 7 for a higher quality keeper.)  This is the best aspect of being in a keeper fantasy baseball league because certain moves actually play out in a manner reminiscent of MLB trades.  Consider me the Astros (it would be the Cubs because none of my players have no trade clauses.) 

So I mentioned a trade, didn't I?  Ok, here's what I gave up:

Jon Papelbon and Anibal Sanchez

FOR

Big Game James Shields! 

"James Shields is pitching because he's a Jewish person." -- Crazy lady on Tampa talk radio, 2010 
I agree this is not a great trade if my goal was to continue competing for a playoff spot.  However, my goal is not to compete but to improve my keepers.  Currently, my certain keepers are now: Jered Weaver, James Shields, Jose Reyes, Joe Mauer, and Chase Utley.  My final decision leaves me with Paul Konerko or Daniel Hudson (who I'm liking more and more each week.)  I also have Jose Valverde, but I've decided it is dumb to keep relief pitchers unless you have one of the top 2 or 3 relievers.  This made Papelbon expendable AND how great is it that I no longer have to have his dumb face on my team?!  What an ass clown. 

GOOD RIDDANCE.
James Shields, on the other hand, is almost 30, in the prime of his career, leads the majors in complete games, and has a savage ERA in the AL East.  Quite impressive.  I'm excited about acquiring such a quality pitcher and I've seen it is possible that he gets traded to another team.  I could imagine this guy in the NL.  He would crush bitches.  I will also say that the best man from my wedding can expect texts saying "Big Game James!" about every 5 to 6 days.  Enjoy buddy!

So what do you think?  Is this a good strategy?  Am I making the proper moves?  Keep in mind I've acquired two of the top 5 pitchers (Weaver and Shields) in the past month or so AND the top offensive player this year (Reyes.)  I feel like Billy Beane when he knew what he was doing and getting extremely lucky.  Side note: Why the fuck didn't Art Howe pinch run Eric Byrnes for Jeremy Giambi against the Yankees in the ALCS?! 

Byrnes beats this throw by literally 90 feet.  Giambi would've beat it if he slid.
I bet Phillip Seymour Hoffman could manage the A's better!  Best Man (from the previous paragraph) believes that "Moneyball" looks like a Lifetime movie.  LOL!

If nothing else, these trades have distracted me from the awfulness that is my team.  Have a fun weekend, assholes- see you on Monday.

5 comments:

GMoney said...

I like the trade but I'd be careful. Shields was Burnett-level garbage last year which makes this year not exactly a forecast for his future.

Observer said...

I like the trade because I don't exactly trust Anibal the Cannibal's big year either. I think Shields' real value is somewhere between what he's been this year and what he was last year, but probably closer to this year. Pitchers that rely on their curveball can vary pretty wildly though.

I'd be interested in Konerko to fill my util spot if I thought I had anything you wanted. The only problem is that I'd have a hard time keeping a 35 year old. At that age, a player can suddenly fall apart like Walter Donovan after drinking from the false grail.

GMoney said...

Have you thought about flipping a combo of Shields and Konerko for a true ace? That might be an avenue to go down for next year. Like say, could you get Cliff Lee/Kershaw/Lincecum/Verlander for that package?

Observer said...

I'll partially answer that question for Prime: you could not get Verlander for that package. If someone owned the rights to a one-night threeway with Elisha Cuthbert and Scarlett Johansen, their asking price might, might, be close to my asking price for Verlander.

Prime99 said...

I agree with Shields not being this good, but him in the NL would improve his value. A Giants fan owns Lincecum so I doubt he's an option. Lee could be an option but I'm concerned with his age a bit. Worth thinking it through though.

Observer would give up Verlander for ScarJo and Cuthbert. Nice posturing though!