Wednesday, August 3, 2011

90s Rock: Toad The Wet Sprocket

First, I'd like to give a big shout out to Kevin Correia for showing his true self last night.  Would you like to see his stat line?  Of course you would!

2 IP, 10 H, 8 ER, 2 K

There it is.  That's Correia we all know and love from his days in San Francisco.  However, I digress...

Toad The Wet Sprocket is a great band.  They bring great songs to life with Glen Phillips' smooth vocals and fantastically poppy musical arrangements.  If anything, they are a bit underrated as a band.  Also, as it turns out, they are playing in Sacramento on August 18.  Dick Tracy and I may make it out, but nothing has been set in stone.  Let's look at some of their best tunes.

"All I Want" - One of their seminal hits, this song is a perfect template for effective songwriting.  Minor key verse, relative major key chorus, transitional key bridge in the middle- songwriting like this hits clean-up and drives in runs.



"Walk On The Ocean" - Another one of Toad's more popular songs, the bass line really stands out here. Also, the subtle mandolin (I think it's a mandolin) in the chorus brings a certain grandness to the song that I very much enjoy.



"Crowing" - I would guess that most people feel that "Dulcinea" is Toad's best record. It would be hard to disagree with that. The album is great top to bottom. One of my favorite songs on the record is this one. I found a video of them playing the song live at the Saratoga Winery in 2009. Thanks to the fan who got this video!



"Something's Always Wrong" - How great is this fucking song?! It's pretty damn great. The video is also excellent as it spoofs the Home Shopping Network. The price on buy Toad The Wet Sprocket goes from $339 ($399 retail!) all the way down to three easy payments of $29.99! What a deal. You can also buy a penance rope for $29, if you happen to be the albino priest from "The Da Vinci Code."



"Windmills" - This one of the most relaxing songs of all time. I'll put it on when I'm stressed or just need a relaxing 3+ minutes. It always does the trick. The fretless bass is money.



"Come Down" - The first single off of "Coil," this is just another one of Toad's poppy hits. They seem to have unlimited amounts of this type of friendly sounding songs. That last sentence was the worst! (But hopefully you understood my point.)



"Dam Would Break" - The hammer-on D minor chord that starts this song is just perfect. I know I've talked a lot about the music theory that underpins their songwriting, but it is all worth mentioning. It really goes to show how underrated this band actually is. I may have just talked myself into going to the show on August 18!



Did I miss your favorite Toad song? Are you mad that I didn't mention "Fall Down?" Well, there- I mentioned it! Hopefully you enjoy their music as much as I do. Rock on fellas!

6 comments:

Observer said...

Glad to see the Kevin Correia Correction has finally come around. Now Ryan Vogelsong will be the only former Giants bust turned All Star worth remembering.

I haven't listened to Toad The Wet Sprocket much, but Windmills is indeed a very good, relaxing song. I might have to give them a listen later.

Prime99 said...

Everyone not in butt-love with Correia (*cough*G$*cough*) knew a statistical correction was coming around. It is pretty amazing that the entire Pirates team is tanking though. I guess that 19 inning game with the blown call really halted their momentum.

You should definitely listen to Toad. I'll let you know if we decide to go to the show. You should come out as well if we do.

GMoney said...

Every legend has an off-night. And my whole point was that Correia is not even close to being the worst opening day starter ever. In the dark days (the 80's), the Yankees "ace" was a turd named Andy Hawkins whose biggest claim to fame was that he threw a no-hitter...yet lost the game 4-0. FOUR runs on zero hits!

Walk On The Ocean is my favorite.

Observer said...

I won't be in town the 18th, so I can't do the show. I will, however, add their stuff to my spotify playlists.

Prime99 said...

I will definitely give you that Correia is not the worst opening day starter- I was exaggerating. I believe Kevin Tapani was once the Cubs' opening day starter. That is just terrible.

How on Earth can someone lose a no-hitter 4-0?! That seems impossible.

GMoney said...

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/07/02/sports/no-hitter-but-with-no-glory.html

Terrible defense by Jim Leyritz and Jesse Barfield helped.