Thursday, August 11, 2011

It's Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack...

Oh, NFL... how I've missed you. While September does bring back the school year and add quite a bit of work to my 8-5 life, Sundays are the sanctuary that get me through the chilling Northern California winter (high 40s/low 50s- BRRRRRRRRRR!)

Just a normal December day in CA.
It is odd that I played basketball, have always loved baseball, but may enjoy watching NFL football the most out of all the sports.  What can I say?  The league knows what it is doing and runs quite the savvy business.  Hell, even when the Bears are out of it, I'm VERY interested.  Can I say the same for baseball when the Cubs are out of the race?  Given this year as a great example, I cannot say my interest is very strong.  If baseball had a lockout today, I probably wouldn't miss it until February- after the Super Bowl. 

What are some issues I'm most looking forward to seeing this NFL season?  Well, I'll tell you:

- Tim Tebow's situation - Kyle Orton will always hold a special place in my heart for going 9-3 for the Bears in 2001 and then letting Sexy Rexy take over and lose in the playoffs.  And while I think it is obvious that Orton is the better QB on the Broncos' roster, Tim Tebow logically should start for the Denver Elways.  Find out what kind of a QB they have in Tebow.  Upping Tebow's playing time will help draw attendance.  And in the end, what is the difference between 2-14 with Tebow and 5-11 with Orton?  Maybe the #1 draft pick?

- Which team will be bad enough to draft Andrew Luck? - I don't remember hype like this for a #1 draft pick since Reggie Bush (who was drafted second!!!)  I know people who cheer for the Niners, Redskins, and Broncos who have all mentioned they want that #1 pick.  Tank a season for a virtual guarantee of 10 years of quality at the QB position?  Sure, why not?  I'm sure there are other teams, even ones that just drafted a QB that will take Luck with no hesitation if they fall to the worst record in the league.  The Lions, Vikings, Titans, Jags, and Bengals all stand a chance to grab that #1 pick and press their Luck. 

"No whammy, no whammy... STOP!  Ah shit!  The Bengals!"
- Jay Cutler's reaction to criticism - No player has ever been called out in such a public fashion as Cutler was for not playing most of the 2nd Half of the NFC Championship game.  The social media age has made it all too easy for players to talk shit about one another and give media cycles an unlimited buffet of fodder.  Jay has worked hard in the offseason to get in great shape and work on his footwork.  Hell, maybe he even matured a little through the NFC Championship debacle (doubtful.)  Year 3 with the Bears will be interesting, that is certain. 

Work hard.  Play hard.
- Jim Harbaugh coaches in SF - The guy was a former NFL QB.  Then coached at San Diego University and led them to an undefeated season.  He earned the job at Stanford and took them to an Orange Bowl victory.  What can this guy do in the NFL?  I think we are all curious, especially with the Niners owning a roster that does not look strong on paper.  I think Harbaugh's influence could gain them an extra 3 wins from what this roster could do otherwise.  Prediction- 5-11 and just missing the Andrew Luck sweepstakes. 

- Sexy Rexy - Almost every bullet point has to do with Ex-Bear or current Bear QBs!  It is hilarious how bias I am!  Rex Grossman declared that the Redskins will "win the NFC East."  When you are done laughing (again), come back and join me...

... I'll wait...

Are you back?  Ok.  I love the enthusiasm by the Sex Cannon, but let's keep it real.  The 'Skins don't have a great shot at winning the division this year.  The Eagles are loaded, the Giants are solid, and the Cowboys are nuisances.  If they pull to 6-10, they should have a post-season party where everyone gets pizza and trophies.  Asking Grossman how the season is going to shake out is a dumb question- what is he going to say?  That the 'Skins are sinking like the Titanic and everyone is going down with the ship?  Of course not.  He has no right answer, so he aimed high and it was hilarious. 

Don't worry D.C.- you're in good hands!
So apparently I'm interested in Bears QBs, and that is it.  Truth be told, there are plenty of other interesting story lines.  I'm sure if one wanted to look for them, they could be found in tonight's Charges vs. Seahawks match-up.  I'll leave that for Jaws or Gruden to screw up.  Right now, I'm just happy football is back.

3 comments:

Observer said...

The NFC east is the Eagles' division to lose at this point. The Giants look good, too. I'm not betting on the Redskins unless Vick, Eli, and the their entire O-lines are caught running an illegal dog fighting ring. Or maybe they can switch it up and run a prostitution ring? Or a prostitute fighting ring. I could get behind that.

GMoney said...

The Lions, Vikes, Jags, and Titans will not be competing in the Luck-stakes. Those teams are WAY better than the real contenders:

SF, Seattle, Buffalo, Denver, Cleveland and Washington

Way to write pretty much the exact same thing as me today, ass!!!

Prime99 said...

Prostitute fighting would be the new Bum Fights. Excellent idea.

G$ - I guess my point was not that those teams are awful and actually would bail on their recently drafted young QBs if they were able to draft #1 next year. I agree with your assessment of the actually terrible teams.

It was similar, but not the same. If I can be Noel Gallagher to G$'s Beatles, then I'd be a pretty decent blogger.