Thursday, August 4, 2011

NFL Highs and Lows

Today might be a bunch a rambling, but I'm going to pick some NFL guys who I expect to excel this year and some I people are overrated going into the season.  I'll just pick at random and you can add your picks in the comments.  Alright, let's do this.

Overrated: Josh Freeman

Can me a skeptic (because I am), but I think young Josh Freeman overachieved last year.  Everyone seems to be quite high on him, and after last year, I suppose they should be.  But look at it.  Legarrette "I Will Punch You In The Face" Blount had an unexpectedly positive season as a rookie free agent and the Bucs' best receiver is a dude that has off field problems and could get suspended any minute (Mike Williams.)  On top of that, the Bucs play in a challenging division and should have a more difficult schedule this year. Let's just say I'm not looking to add Josh Freeman to my fantasy roster as I believe he will regress this year.

Underrated: Donovan McNabb

I can't believe I just wrote that.  As much as I'm hoping McNabb stubs his toe in Minnesota, I just have a bad feeling he'll be pretty productive under center in the Metrodome (does anyone know if the roof is fixed?  No chance I'd go to a game there!)  With a savage running game, the pressure should be off McNabb and he will be free to take chances down the field- Brett Favre style.  I'm hoping that productive statistics do not lead to wins in the case of the Vikings, but I have a feeling he'll be pretty decent this year.

Either that, or he'll get run out of town... again.
Overrated: Kevin Kolb

Wow Arizona, that was some big money to give to a guy who barely scraped by with a win against division rival San Francisco last year.  And guess what?  Your roster is worse than the Eagles' roster last year.  Arizona will be better for having Kolb since their best alternative was John Skeletor (Skelton- but Skeletor would be so much cooler), but they will still suck.  Speaking of the NFC West...

Underrated: Steven Jackson

Fantasy geeks have been waiting for the Rams' RB to step up in a major way.  If he's going to take his game to the next level, it must be done this year.  Shockingly, Jackson is actually starting to go toward the back-side of his career (it feels like just yesterday he was drafted) and he should be ready to peak this year.  Sam Bradford has one year under his belt and presents a balanced attack for opposing defenses to deal with.  I feel that Jackson should have a stand out year, if healthy. 

Steven Jackson playing against the Seahawks in 2010.
Overrated: Chad Ochocinco

For those of you expecting 2007 Randy Moss numbers from Ocho- just stop it.  I know we, as humans and football fans, love to come up with trends, predictions, and false prophecies, but Ochocinco is no Randy Moss.  Sure, he's funny and entertaining, but that doesn't mean he's as good as a Hall of Fame WR when combined with this generation's greatest QB in the prime of his career.  Ochocinco is a great addition for the Pats, but just temper your enthusiasm if you think he's about to have the greatest statistical year of any WR ever.  It ain't happenin'. 

Underrated: Jay Cutler

Oh yes- I went there.  I know this is coming from a guy who bleeds GSH orange, but I think Cutler is going to have a good year.  It is all dependent on the Bears' O-Line, but Cutler came into camp in great shape and has been working on his piss-poor footwork from last year.  He knows the Martz offensive scheme now and is ready to gun it.  Similar to my comment on the Rams, the Bears should have a good balance of passing and running to keep opposing defenses honest.  I'm not certain that the Bears make it back to the NFC Championship Game (in fact, it is probably impossible), but statistically, Cutler should have a very good year. 

"♪♫ I'm all outta love, I'm so lost without you... ♪♫"
Overrated: The Cowboys

Uh, because they are.  The Eagles and Giants are still better than the 'Boys.  I could even see the Redskins stealing a game from them.  Tony Romo already got the only ring he's going to get in this career this off-season (a wedding ring.)  It is possible that the coaching change to Jason Garrett helps them slightly- but it is also possible that it blows up in their face.  I'm not high on the Cowboys this year.

---

I'll have some divisional predictions in the next few weeks.  Until then, am I wrong on these?  Who are your picks for over or under rated?

3 comments:

Observer said...

Overrated: Dwayne Bowe. He's not going to repeat his 15 touchdown performance from last year, and I'm not high on Matt Cassel either.

Underrated: Ahmad Bradshaw. He could become a top ten running back if he figures out how to keep the ball (and therefore the starting job). Brandon Jacobs is probably held together by willpower and duct tape at this point, so the next big hit from a charging line backer could blow him apart like a Mortal Combat fatality.

GMoney said...

Bradshaw fumbles too much and doesn't get goalline carries. But I agree that he's better than what most think.

McNabb is done. Who is he going to throw the ball to? The Vikes just cut their starting LT! Look at the pass rushes in the North! He will fail.

Cutler may have better numbers this year, but the Bears will be worse record-wise. Does he face DeHall again? Well, there is four less picks.

Prime99 said...

No chance Bowe repeats his success of last season (do Chiefs fans call him Ziggy Stardust? That would be funny.) Ditto on Cassel.

Bradshaw should be pretty decent. Jacobs does take an awful lot of points away from him, as you mentioned.

Call it a bad feeling, McNabb has torn up the Bears in the past and I'm squeamish thinking about it. I hope I'm wrong and that Suh rips his head off during their first meeting.

I think I said the exact same thing about the Bears- thank you for repeating it just to get your DeAngelo Hall dig in there. You should probably keep bragging about those 4 picks as they will be all you have to brag about this entire year. Then again, that's probably what you want- the #1 draft pick.