Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Fantasy Baseball: Week... Um... Who Gives A Shit?

My fantasy baseball year has been much less successful than this past year in fantasy football (can you say "championship?")  I would love to hang my team by a rope like it is an old man who was released from prison and can't deal with the fast pace of modern life (that's right bitches- you get Shawshank references at my site!)















So as I listen to the new Beastie Boys and contemplate exactly how these old guys can still release dirty beats with catchy hooks, I'm also trying to figure out what in holy hell I can do to help my 3-7 fantasy team.

I suppose we should go over the rules in my league before going any further.  It is a keeper league where you keep 6 guys.  No more, no less.  There are no restrictions on which positions you can keep.  If you want to keep 6 pitchers, you are probably retarded, but you can do that.  If you want to keep 6 offensive players, you are not retarded, but your team probably lacks balance.  Once the keepers are decided upon, there is a regular snake draft in our 12 team league. 

My keepers this year were the worst keepers in the history of humankind.  I thought I was making good decisions all around, but apparently not.

C Joe Mauer (so far- he's been hurt)
1B Justin Morneau (scrambled brains, injury problems)
2B Chase Utley (hurt at the beginning, but has been great since coming back)
OF Carl Crawford (just terrible for the first two months of the season)
SP Roy Oswalt (old and showing it)
RP Jonathan Papelbon (stupid face)

Recently, I made a trade to switch things up:

Carl Crawford, Roy Oswalt, and Elvis Andrus FOR Jose Reyes and Jered Weaver

I feel like this was a good move, but it has not paid dividends just yet as I played a high scoring team this past week.  Our league is a head-to-head league that works like a fantasy football league in the sense that each good thing your players do has a point value assigned to it and the highest point total wins the match up.  It is not a roto league or a league that breaks down categories.  If your team scores 300 points in a week, there is a great chance you will win, but obviously, it depends on what team you go up against.

So let's do a current roster check to see exactly how my team is:

Starting this week for me:

C Chris Iannetta, 1B Paul Konerko, 2B Utley, 3B Justin Turner, SS Jose Reyes, OF Shin-Soo Choo, OF Alex Gordon, OF Drew Stubbs, U Howie Kendrick

On the bench (offense):

Morneau, Alberto Callaspo, Mauer

Starting pitchers:

Zach Duke (spotted 4 runs in the first and couldn't get out of the 5th for a win- damn you Duke!!! I've dropped him already for next week- did I mention it is weekly line up changes?)
Daniel Hudson (I like this guy, good young pitcher with potential)
Jonathon Niese (Ohio boy, gotta like that)
Anibal "The Cannibal" Sanchez (keeper potential)
Jered Weaver (keeper for sure)
Jonathan Papelbon (still has a stupid face)
Jose Valverde (one of the best pot bellies in baseball- no one beats Todd Coffey in that regard, though)

Bench pitchers:
Bartolo Colon (someone get that man some stem cells, stat!)
Fausto Carmona (bust so far)
Edison Volquez (welcome back from the minors)
Zach Britton (lots of potential)
Adam Wainwright (on the DL but keeping him around just in case)

So there you go.  That's my train wreck of a team.  Today, I was ready to start a new week and bounce back.  However, Zach F-ing Duke blew a massive lead and couldn't get through the 5th inning.  The Tigers blew an 8th inning lead so Valverde pitched in a non-save situation.  Meanwhile, my opponent has AJ Burnett who pitched great but didn't get the win for the Yankees.  And of course, he also has Chris Perez who, in that same Yankees/Indians game, got a three strikeout save without giving up a hit.  He also picked up a Francisco Cordero save.  Needless to say, I'm already losing 54-7.  Damn. 

Was there a point to this post besides ranting?  Not really.  Feel free to rant about your awful fantasy team in the comments.  If your team is great, you can mention that as well- just know that I will put a voodoo curse on all your players and you will risk injuries by bragging.

4 comments:

Observer said...

Needless to say my 5-5 team has not lived up to expectations. Rickie Weekes, Berkman, Ian Kennedy, and Verlander have basically carried my team. What I need to start winning is:

Josh Johnson getting his ass back on the mound.

Michael Morse continuing to hit the way he has. That may not happen, but he's been fun to watch the last few weeks.

Ethier finding the power he had before he broke his pinky last year. It's like that goddamn pinky finger was the source of all his mojo.

Aardsma giving up the rehab and getting Tommy John surgery, or Nathan getting the closer role back. Ideally both. League/Putz/Nathan/Venters could be a dominant RP squad (though they've shown they can also put up a -30).

And finally, Ichiro needs to hit over .300. Seriously Ichiro, I know you're an old man now, but it's time to get some hits.

Speaking of Ichiro, I was going to offer you Ichiro for Choo. We could trade Asians, so our teams will be just as good at math before and after. /racist

Prime99 said...

Yeah Dread- you've had your fair share of "bad breaks" (too soon?) this year. Your list of things you need is extensive- you're probably just as screwed as I am.

I LOL'ed at the Asian trade comment. As funny as it may be, I probably wouldn't do it. I think I have to stick with the young drunk vs. the old future HOFer. I'll think about it though.

GMoney said...

Choo is terrible. The best thing for him would be to enlist in the Korean Army.

If I were you and had to choose my 2012 keepers right now, I'm keeping:

Mauer, Utley, and Reyes
Weaver...those four definitely

And then you I'd pick between Hudson, Sanchez, Stubbs, and Konerko. I would likely choose Stubbs and Hudson. But what do I know? I've only won three of the last four leagues that I've entered.

Prime99 said...

If Choo were to join the Korean Army, under no circumstances would he be allowed to drive the military jeeps!

Those 4 are locks for keepers. My train of thought was quite similar to yours. I'm done keeping a RP ever. I'd say the same thing about C besides me having Mauer (and even then it's getting to be a pretty thin decision.)

Big time champion over here! I guess if G$ doesn't win this year we can all be happy, but we'll still have to go back to our small, pathetic lives the next day.