Wednesday, June 22, 2011

90s Rock: Matchbox 20

This might be a debatable inclusion to my 90s Rock posts.  However, before Rob Thomas began practicing pop voodoo with Santana, he was in a band called Matchbox 20 (they prefer to be called "Matchbox Twenty" these days, but when they started out they used the digits.)  You all are familiar whether or not you admit it publicly- you probably like a few of their songs.  Their first album especially is a well put together, cohesive record.  Let's look at some of the favorite tunes from their 90s years (first two albums.)

"Push" - The first single that started their career going down the multi-platinum path.  It's catchy, but very rock oriented and almost angry.  Maroon 5 should just cut MB20 a check for 5% of all their royalties.



"Long Day" - My personal favorite Matchbox 20 song. I seem to love songs that start out acoustic and build to rock hard. It's hard to argue that this song isn't fantastic.



"3AM" - Including this one because it's a decent song and because Rob Thomas' old band Tabitha's Secret sued MB20 for releasing the song. Thomas co-wrote it with members of his former band and had even previously released the song. I had to go to Wikipedia to get the dirt:

Matchbox Twenty's first album, Yourself or Someone Like You contained the song "3 A.M." This song was written and performed as Tabitha's Secret, and was released on the band's self-titled/self-published cassette EP. Stanley and Goff sued Matchbox Twenty claiming fiduciary breach of contract and sued Serletic and his attorney for tortious interference. This lawsuit lasted five years and was settled out of court in 2000.



"Argue" - I really like this non-single from "Yourself Or Someone Like You." The muted electric guitar in the verse with another guitar layering over the top is gorgeously done.



"Bent" - The first single off of their 2nd album "Mad Season" is one dirty little number. The soaring guitars and minor key verse build toward a poppy chorus. It's like they are holding the masses' ears hostage.



"Last Beautiful Girl" - Breaking away from their habit of using one or two word titles, this song puts on a clinic for pop music songwriters. Breaking ankles and dropping dimes the whole way through this song and adding a rocking bridge. What more do you want?



"Disease" - What's that? I broke my 90s-ish rule? Deal with it, asshole! This song is kick-ass! Something about it reminds me of the Rolling Stones, which is confusing because at face value it's nothing like the Stones at all. I really can't explain why I feel that way, but I will say that I am not ashamed to enjoy this song.



In some respect, I shouldn't glorify this band. They probably gave an assist to guiding grunge era out to pasture, but if you're looking for pop/rock- they definitely have some quality tunes to listen to.

2 comments:

GMoney said...

You are correct that you should not be glorifying this band. They suck.

Not knowing who else you have in mind, I was thinking that Blink would be coming up soon.

Prime99 said...

Matchbox 20 randomly came on my iTunes yesterday, so I went with this instead of stressing out about finding another band to come up with. I'm definitely up for suggestions. Blink is a pretty good one. Here are others I was debating- add to it:

Third Eye Blind
Tonic
Verve Pipe
The Cure
Soundgarden

As you can tell I'm reaching...

Also, readers who came here having never read my old blog, I'll be posting archived posts of 90s bands I've written about in the past. You can see STP below the current post. Others coming:

Nirvana
Oasis
Alice In Chains
Radiohead
Foo Fighters
Pearl Jam
and more...