Wednesday, June 15, 2011

90s Rock: Weezer

At first, I really wasn't into the geek rock that Weezer brought to the table in the 90s.  However, it grew on me and now I can say I'm a fan.  Rivers Cuomo is an underrated guitar player and a fantastic songwriter.  Here are some of my favorite songs of theirs from the 90s. 

"Undone (The Sweater Song)" - This got it started for Weezer.  Their first true single/hit off of their self-titled "blue" album.  The dissonant 7th chords used give this song a trippy feel- in a good way.



"My Name Is Jonas" - The opening track to the "blue" album that is so much fun to listen to.  This has to be one of my favorite Weezer songs due to all the different phases this song has- phases that are perfectly strung together. 



"Only In Dreams" - A soft song that builds up in a way that demands attention. The subtle harmonies go largely unnoticed but add so much to the song. Definitely a great Weezer track.



"Pink Triangle" - A song about a lesbian that isn't responsive to a hetero guy's advances?! Sign me up! This song shows off Weezer's sense of humor. Then again, I think Rivers might be serious in this song and speaking from experience. Either way, though.



"Across The Sea" - From lesbians to Japanese girls- Rivers has quite the issues with girls- which is fine because it leads to songs like this.



"The Good Life" - I think this was a single that didn't necessarily catch on. Very catchy tune though. Really great tune from "Pinkerton." That record was late to be appreciated to the level it should have been.



Weezer is a solid band from the 90s. I'm well aware I left off "Say It Ain't So" and "Buddy Holly" but you didn't need me to give those songs props. They're both solid (though possibly still overplayed- I heard "Buddy Holly" on the radio yesterday.) Rock on your nerdy assholes!

Quick add- "Susanne" from the "Mallrats" soundtrack- great tune!

4 comments:

GMoney said...

Goddamn you! I was going to drop some truth on you with The Good Life, Pink Triangle, and Susanne (all OUTSTANDING).

I have to say that my two favorite songs from the blue album might be In The Garage and No One Else. There is a live version of No One Else that I have on my computer that I freaking love.

We were good as married in my mind but married in my mind is no good.--So true!

Prime99 said...

I'm glad my picks garner a positive response (not always possible.) Those songs are all awesome- and I've now been listening to Weezer all day.

I also really like "The World Has Turned And Left Me Here" of the blue album.

Rivers Cuomo's version of the Star Spangled Banner is actually the best I've heard (as far as our National Anthem goes.)

Unknown said...

Susanne is a great song, but "In The Garage" really speaks to me. How can you not like a song that mentions Nightcrawler & Kitty Pride?

Prime99 said...

In The Garage is a great track, John! There aren't many Weezer tracks I dislike- so thanks for adding that one to the conversation.