Monday, June 20, 2011

Cubs/Coronas/Carne Asada/Craps

Hmm... what choices do I have to talk about today?  Probably a lot- let the rambling begin. 

- The Cubs did about what they could be expected to do over the weekend.  They won Friday against the Yankees behind a "dominant" performance by Doug Davis.  Game 2 was a tight one, but the Evil Empire prevailed in the end after throwing out a slower than paint drying Carlos Pena at the plate.  The wheels just came off of the Cubs late in Game 3 and they lost 10-4.  That sucked because the Cubs actually led 4-1 after an impressive bomb by ex-Yankee Alfonso Soriano. 

In the end, we while I mentioned slight rays of sunshine poking through the dark cloud of the Cubs franchise on Friday, they are still a pretty awful team.  Hopefully getting some of these young guys up will help them develop, but at the moment, I'm still on the "fire Jim Hendry" bandwagon.

- As a side job, I play music at various establishments in Northern California.  This weekend I played 3 shows in 2 days.  It was TOUGH.  My last show occurred in Danville at a restaurant were Robert Gallery of the Oakland Raiders was hanging out.  He seemed decently nice making his grimy beard and tat covered body tolerable.  He drilled about 37 Coronas during the time I saw him and he was there before I showed up.  Overall though, he really kept to himself and his group of friends but was gracious when anyone recognized him. 

Now, one would think he was definitely the biggest star of the night at this location.  WRONG.  Some dude took on the restaurant's burrito challenge to eat a 3.5 lb. burrito in 50 minutes.  I took a break and found the guy sitting at a table by himself almost finished with the damn thing.  As it turns out, he had over 20 minutes left.  I went to the bar to refill my Dos Equis and by the time I returned he had finished with 19 minutes to spare.  Very impressive.  He got the burrito with Carne Asada so the $23 he would've paid for it was free.  It seems like this guy is trying to get into professional eating as he said he finished a prime rib rack challenge earlier in the day.  I think even Robert Gallery was impressed. 

- My wife bargained with Comcast earlier this month and now we have HBO for 6 months.  I decided to catch up on "Game Of Thrones" and it was a fantastic decision.  That show is phenomenal.  I'm a cool Sci-Fi/Fantasy guy (not over the edge geeky, Baby Bear Porridge "just right" level) so this is right up my alley.  I'm bummed I got into this late because I would've considered live blogging the show, but we'll see what happens next year (and whether or not we have HBO or if I have to get creative to watch it.) 

Does anyone reading watch this show or am I wasting digital ink by mentioning it?  Sound off in the comments.

- Last, I'm getting ready to go to the Peppermill Reno this Friday.  I feel like a kid waiting for Santa Claus!  The time cannot go fast enough until this trip gets here.  The P-Mill could be my favorite place in the world.  That is really no exaggeration.  I can't think of a better place.  Even USA Today thinks it's a great location!  Here's to hoping they have the Craps table warmed up and ready to go.  Also, I haven't played Poker in awhile, but I hear their new Poker Room is off the hook!  I may have to go check it out...

---

It was a fairly successful, if not tiring weekend.  Smooth sailing until my birthday weekend vacation this weekend.  Oh, I didn't mention my birthday is next week?  I also forgot to tell you it is a milestone number that rhymes with "dirty?"  Those omissions were probably intentional. 

4 comments:

GMoney said...

I've seen enough to know that the Cubs will be lousy for at least three more years. The Jeff Szamardjia experiment needs to end. He sucks. You have one decent prospect and I caught myself saying at least five times this weekend, "just throw it over the plate, he can't hit it out anyway!" That's it. Who is scouting for this franchise!!!

Game of Thrones is sensational. I am seriously pissed (yet intrigued) that they killed off Sean Bean and Drogo. Weak sauce!

OK, fantasy trade time! I pulled off another deal and I need to explain it.

I dealt: Hosmer, Pedroia, Jason Heyward, and Garza
I received: A-Rod, Sam Fuld, Juan OOOOOOOOOribe, and Verlander.

Now on paper, this looks sketchy for me. But I already have Utley making Pedroia expendable. Hosmer is going to be a stud but is still hitting .230. Heyward has been AWFUL in his soph season. And I threw in Garza because my trade partner is a Cubs homer that can't resist.

I wanted A-Rod because I was starting Jed Lowrie at third and he is horrendous. I acquired currently the best pitcher in baseball. I immediately cut Ful and OOOOOOOOOribe because Hafner came off the DL and I needed to waive someone and added Mike Moustakos from the wire for his potential.

What do you think? I liked it because I was able to unload some underachievers for arguably the best 3B and P in the game. I think that I got the two best players out of this. Thoughts?

Prime99 said...

IMO, you got not only the better end of the deal- you crushed that trade like Jamie Lannister crushed his twin sister's pussy (couldn't resist the Game of Thrones reference.)

Very well done. If A-Rod is able step up a bit more, you'll get even more out of it.

How about throwing rookie Chris Carpenter in there in a tight situation against Nick Swisher last night? I knew that was a horrible decision the second it went down. I'm mad that I was right.

Observer said...

I haven't seen Game of Thrones but I've been meaning to check it out. Your endorsement might have just sealed the deal. Not shocking to hear about Sean Bean; that guy's too much of a badass for a TV show to handle.

I like the A-Rod and Verlander deal. Those are the two best players in the trade, with Hosmer and Heyward not looking like they're ready to contribute. Plus I have a giant man crush for Justin Verlander. If Verlander and Buster Posey co-starred in Broke Back Mountain 2, I would watch it. In the theater. Seventeen times.

Prime, I'm mildly disappointed you didn't take the Youk trade, but I can't really fault you for wanting to hang onto the Cannibal. You may regret it, though, when Ty Wiggington has a week that reminds you just how Ty Wiggington he can be.

Get ready to face me and my 4 pitcher starts this week!

Prime99 said...

Youk has been hurt and it took effort to trade him to you last year- I don't want him back now! Though, I will give you Justin Morneau back as well.

So I can't find a better 3B than Ty Wiggington- sue me! I'm not giving up one of my best assets (Anibal) for an aging veteran with health issues and an ugly face (Youk.)

I'm planning on winning this week. My team is pretty horrible though.