Wednesday, June 8, 2011

90s Rock: Nine Inch Nails

Wednesdays will be reserved for 90s rock nostalgia. This week, we'll start with Nine Inch Nails- enjoy:

Trent Reznor is one angry dude- or at least he definitely was angry in the 1990s.  This was one band that my Mom was none to pleased to find in my music collection.  Whether Reznor was talking about fucking or finding happiness in slavery, these tunes were intense lyrically and sonically.  If I'm not mistaken, "Pretty Hate Machine" came out in 1989, but we're counting it as 90s because it is so damn good. Onward with a list of my favorite songs by NIN:

"Head Like A Hole" - One of the classic NIN songs from their catalog, this song combines metal with synthesizers to perfectly define "Industrial" music.  Not to mention that this song appeared on "Beavis and Butthead."



"Something I Can Never Have" - I'm putting this song on there as a great example of the range that NIN bring to the table. This is actually a dysfunctional ballad that showed the potential Reznor possessed (potential that was fully realized a few years later, but we'll get to that...)



"Wish" - These fuckers won a Grammy for this song! A Grammy! Best Metal Performance- look it up! This is the type of music I will request should I some day get confined in a "Jigsaw" trap.



"Happiness In Slavery" - This is essentially torture rock. You will never find this song on any jukebox not in a dominatrix den. Yes, the double negative was extremely intentional. Also, I'm posting their performance from Woodstock '94 when the full band came out covered in mud and rocked the fuck out of the crowd and the viewers at home (did anyone get this on PPV or watch tidbits on MTV back in the day?)



"Mr. Self Destruct" - This still is one of my favorite songs to put on while working out. The driving beat is motivational and helps me get through particularly difficult sessions at the gym. This is such a sick opening song for a record- well played, indeed.



"March Of The Pigs" - Another up tempo song that gets the blood pumping. Need to lift up a car while participating in a riot? Need to rip a radiator out of a wall? Need to survive a LA Dodgers game? This would be a great soundtrack to help you accomplish any of those feats.



"Hurt" - Yes, I admit, I skipped over a few essential tracks by NIN. Let me hear about it in the comments. A few songs ago, I mentioned Trent Reznor realizing his potential as a twisted ballad writer. Well, this is the song that gets it done. Perfectly laid out and extremely emotional. Johnny Cash's acoustic cover also demonstrates just how great this song is.  It has more layers than your average citizen of Minneapolis wears outside during a bitter winter's evening.



"The Big Come Down" - "The Fragile" barely makes the 90s cut, but this could be my favorite NIN tune. I once had the good fortune to see NIN sound-check this song to an almost empty venue. Trent Reznor turned to the rest of the band and said, "Let's rock the fuck out of this!" And they did exactly that. This song crushes everything in its path.



Nine Inch Nails are an important band to 90s rock. While they may not have "invented" Industrial music, they certainly gave it a defined style and identity. When you need to get in touch with your savage side or have ridiculously violent sex, just put on NIN and they'll show you the way.

4 comments:

GMoney said...

I always preferred The Perfect Drug but in all, I was not a big NIN fan. Hurt is the best though.

Prime99 said...

The Perfect Drug and Dead Souls are both noteworthy songs.

I'm a little surprised you don't like NIN much- they definitely rock hard. However, I guess I understand since Reznor's voice can be a little whiny.

Hurt is such a great song.

Observer said...

I loved The Downward Spiral when I was an angry, jaded teenager, and I still appreciate it for it's value as motivational music for working out or programming. I am surprised you didn't pick Big Man With a Gun just for how outrageous and potentially offensive it is.

I loved Pretty Hate Machine, but for some reason never got into Broken or The Fragile. I might have to revisit those albums next time I need to be kicked in the ass by some thrashing industrial noise rock.

Prime99 said...

Broken is good but probably the most passable of all NIN records (rabid fans may want to tear me apart for that statement.) There are 6 tracks + 2 bonus tracks not listed on the album art (one is a cover of Adam Ant's "Physical.") Might be just a little too short.

The Fragile is genius though it has the opposite problem as Broken. It is 2 discs and possibly too long. The overall product is great though if you put in the effort.