Friday, June 17, 2011

Diary of a Distraught Cubs Fan

June 17, 2011.  And th-th-the Yankees come to town. 

Let's keep it real.  I can't be that distraught at the moment.  The Cubs just took 3 of 4 from the Milwaukee Brewers.  Lighting up Zack Greinke yesterday was a fantastic treat.  Watching Carlos Pena and Alfonso Soriano go yard was quite helpful to my morale. 

However, we now have the Bronx Bombers coming to town and I see no reason to slow down.  Amazingly, the Cubs do actually have the 3rd highest team batting average in the National League.  The problem is they don't string the hits together to produce runs.  This would be like constantly covering a Craps table only to seven-out and never get paid.  Just awful. 

With the Yanks coming to Wrigley, I don't fear their pitching.  I have a feeling the Cubs will score runs.  But will they score enough runs to win a ball game or two?  Fuck if I know.  But the only two pitchers I worry about on their staff are CC and Mariano Rivera.  Unless they trade for Kevin Correia some time soon, their overall staff is not intimidating. 

That being said, their offense IS intimidating.  A-Rod is inconsistent but still worthy of superstar status.  Mark Teixeira is retarded- as in Black Eyed Peas "Let's Get Retarded In Here."  Robinson Cano could be the best hitter in baseball. 

But am I writing this to slob the Yankees' knobs?  Absolutely not.  After watching the Cubs so far this week, I actually think the Cubs may cause the Yankees trouble- and I'm sure that won't make G$ a very happy child molester (he is a massive fan of the Evil Empire.) 

Really, they have nothing to lose.  The Cubs have lowered the expectations to "Deep Impact" asteroid crater levels.  If they get swept this weekend- oh well.  They probably should.  And if they happen to win 2 of 3 and actually take advantage of the DH-less New York squad, then that would be quite an accomplishment. 

The point is, while I'm not leading the charge of stating that the Cubs are about to make the biggest turnaround in MLB history, the world is a little less dreary looking through Cubs fan beer goggles.  Do I still want them to unload payroll?  Yes.  If they can, that is.  Do I still think Jim Hendry should be fired.  Yep- immediately.  He even received the accursed "vote of confidence" from Tom Ricketts this week.  It's time to build a system and stop hampering their MLB club with long contracts that players can't realistically live up to.  If nothing else though, I actually enjoyed watching the Cubs the last few games which makes this week the peak of my baseball season. 

I'm looking forward to the games this weekend.  I'm looking for competitive games and growth from the horde of young'uns that the Cubs have on the roster at the moment.  Go Cubs!

4 comments:

GMoney said...

Freddy Garcia is terrible. Scoring 2 runs in one inning off of him is not an accomplishment.

I am not concerned about the Cubs.

No mention of GranderMVP??? Fear him. Maybe.

Prime99 said...

Grandyman is a former Tiger. I don't fear former Tigers.

Doug Davis is an alum of my high school. That is someone the Yankees should be afraid of.

Observer said...

I agree with your assessment of the Yankee's pitching staff. I have no confidence in A.J. Burnett after he singlehandedly tanked my ratios one year.

Enjoy your Yankees/White Sox/Royals interleague matchup. I'll be hoping the Giants don't embarrass themselves against the weaker schedule of A's/Indians/Twins.

GMoney said...

Actually, the lack of DH is beneficial to the team as our pitchers can't be any worse than Posada.

4 runs off of Garcia and Davis...these teams suck.