Friday, October 7, 2011

Wild Generalizations That I'm Unqualified To Make

While in accounting class last night, I turned on my MLB At-Bat app on my iPhone (RIP, Steve.) I watched the internet updates for the 7th - 9th innings. You know what my take away is from watching those?

A-ROD IS TERRIBLE.

Seriously. He's the highest paid guy in the league. He failed in the 7th with the bases loaded and struck out to end the game. Yikes. $27 mil a year for a mental midget? A-no-thank-you. I'd be interested to hear G$'s take on this. As a Yankees fan, you cannot be happy about A-Rod. I will agree that he played well in 2009 and that helped the Bombers win the Series. As A-Rod goes, the Yankees go- and that cannot be comforting for Yankee fans.

It hurts so good...
Ivan Nova was put in a tough spot. It is hard to blame a rookie for folding up a bit at Yankee Stadium during a deciding Game 5. I think Nova will be solid for years to come as long as he doesn't pull a Rich Hill. Yeah, I brought Rich Hill into this rambling- wanna fight about it?

On to other baseball notes, I'm paying more attention to the Cubs possibly acquiring Theo Epstein than I did for the last 3 months of Cubs' season. Do I want Theo to be the Cubs GM? Pretty much. I'm not totally sold on him, but he did give the Red Sox a solid infrastructure. He certainly knows how to balance big spending with developing talent. He also knows about breaking "curses." I wouldn't be mad if the Cubs also looked at some young, qualified assistant GM's around the league. However, if they ultimately get Epstein, I'll be excited to see what he can do to turn the Cubs' fortune around.

Chris Carpenter vs. Roy Halladay

What a touching story about two former Blue Jays who were best friends and discussed pitching techniques early in their career. Now they face each other in a deciding Game 5! What are the odds?!? Well, pretty good actually. They are both #1 starters on two of the best teams in the NL. It stands to reason they would face off in the playoffs. Is it fun to compete against your friends? You bet your ass it is. One of them will have bragging rights forever. Unfortunately, I can't cheer for either team because I hate both of them.

I mildly like Arizona, but truthfully, I don't care about their Game 5.

Detroit vs. Texas is going to make House Party look like House Party 2! I'd rather drink magnesium citrate two hours before going to a fancy dinner party than watch this garbage.

And that's all the rambling I have left in me. Baseball is dead to me (until the Cubs win the offseason.) Have a great weekend and here's a message to The Million Dollar Men... I'm coming for ya.

4 comments:

Observer said...

I don't think you can judge a player on a couple at bats, no matter how important they are. The best hitters of all time still have less than a 50% chance of getting on base.

A-Rod is still a decent third basemen when healthy, but I'd be really concerned about his steep decline and injuries. He's got 6 more years and he'll be making $20 million in 2017. Terrible.

Which is worse: A-Rod making $74,000 per regular season plate appearance, or Zito making $21,000 per pitch?

Prime99 said...

"I don't think you can judge a player on a couple at bats, no matter how important they are. The best hitters of all time still have less than a 50% chance of getting on base."

Unless their names are Will Clark or Mark Grace and it is 1989.

"Which is worse: A-Rod making $74,000 per regular season plate appearance, or Zito making $21,000 per pitch?"

Wow. I can't pick. I'd rather be stuck in the reverse bear-trap Saw helmet than make that pick...

The answer is Zito, though, I think.

GMoney said...

As A-Rod goes, the Yankees go
--That hasn't been true for two years now. He is more of a 6 hitter these days though than a cleanup hitter.

As far as his struggles at the plate, I'll give him a little credit because he is CLEARLY still hurting in his bum knee and tried to play through it anyway. But then again, if you're out there, you've got to produce. He did smother everything at third at least. The money doesn't bother me though. It's not my money.

Nova is having an MRI on his forearm today. If he needs to have surgery on something, that will be the worst outcome from this series.

The Million Dollar Men had to add 3 guys from waivers this week just to fill out our lineup! Justin Forsett, Pats D, and Kevin Walter....WEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Prime99 said...

The best outcome of the series: G$'s nickname of Nova- Champagne IvanNova

Notice, I didn't talk too much crap about our MSFL match-up... Aaron Rodgers still scares the shit out of me.