Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Dexter Season 6

I'm going to talk about Dexter up to this point in the season.  My intention is not to be spoiler-heavy, but let's be honest, if you haven't watched this season and will be upset if you are spoiled, then take the day off today. 

This season of Dexter has been good, but not great so far.  That said, it is what the series needed to keep things fresh.  For example, in the first episode, we are reintroduced to Dexter and he states that the last year has been relatively care-free and his murders have been executed to perfection.  Also, early in the season they sent Dexter to a high school reunion dance for a blow job and an easy kill.  As a viewer, this was a welcome segue into the season.  It allowed the audience to take a breath and reset the tension of the show.  Last season went directly from the Trinity killer debacle directly into the Lumen/Camp Rape/Jordan Chase situation.  The building tension forced me to start believing that there was no way Dexter would be able to escape all the heat of these situations crashing in on him. 

HAMMER TIME!
Currently, I feel they are doing a good job of pushing the reset button before ratcheting up the danger to Dexter and his loved ones once again. 

The focal point of this season has been faith- or more specifically, Dexter's lack of faith.  I was skeptical of this storyline, but with the help of Mos' Brother Sam, I'm starting to really buy in to the direction of the plot.  Initially, I wasn't sure that Mos would be anything more than a botched kill to shake Dexter about of his utopian murdering, but I've grown to really like Brother Sam.  I'm sure they'll put him in more situations that will make us question how much he's actually repented, but that's part of the fun, I suppose. 

Deb has been promoted to lieutenant and is square in the middle of a political squabble between Matthews and Laguarta.  Is it just me, or does this season feel like the perfect time to kill off Deb?  She has been on a collision course to get shanked for a long time and it feels like she could find out about Dexter then meet her doom during the season finale.  If not Deb, what characters could be playing chess with the Grim Reaper in the near future?

Quinn - I'm 50/50 on Quinn.  I thought he had a better chance of dying last season.  Now that he made it past Season 5 and is back to boning chicks and smoking doobies this year, I can't tell if they are working toward him getting Doakesed. 

Baustia - He might be the safest character besides Dexter in the entire show.  Killing him off would be quite a shock, which probably is why they would consider it.  I don't think they have the marbles to peel the bacon off his back, though. 

Brother Sam - As Dexter and Brother Sam (hilarious abbreviated as B.S.) become closer, Mos is more at risk.  Dexter ends up either putting his friends at risk or killing them outright. 

Detective Anderson - Chances of sleeping with Deb: 100%  Chances of dying: 80%  They brought this stiff in to do both. 

Masuka - Surprisingly, allowing the hot blonde girl to steal evidence from the Ice Truck Killer has put him in danger.  I doubt he's going to get killed, but I can definitely see him being put in a more harrowing position than ever before.  

And this brings us to Colin Hanks.  He's definitely going down.  I mean, the big bad boss man from each season has been killed to resolve the story arc.  I'm not trying to ruin anything, but when Edward James Olmos' character turns out to be as real as Brad Pitt's Tyler Durdin from "Fight Club," don't blame me for ruining it. 

I am Jack's sense of impending doom.
While Colin Hanks talks to him like he's Jiminy Cricket, no other character has truly acknowledged his presences.  The camera played tricks on us last episode, but the tied up girl truly did not do anything to prove to me that EJO was actually real. 

My overall impression is that this season has given us a little time to breathe, and while that may not be the most interesting television right now, I think it will go a long way in helping the longevity of the show.  I can't wait to see where they go from here.

5 comments:

GMoney said...

I say it all the time but Deb is the worst character on TV. She is so unbelievable as a real person. There is NO WAY that she gets promoted to Captain after a middling career as a detective (which she was JUST promoted to).

Blonde hand-stealer is filthy hot. Masuka should not be so offended.

Mos Def has been surprisingly awesome.

I want Colin Hanks to die in real life.

And finally, I'm gonna need that picture of Olmos's ass back.

Prime99 said...

Blonde hand stealer is hot. She used to be on Heroes and it is nice to see her back on TV.

I'm also surprised by Mos- Lord have mercy!

I feel like the set up will have a solid payoff this season.

Observer said...

Edward James Olmos is to Colin Hanks what Dexter's Father is to Dexter? They usually set up some paralells between the big bad and Dexter, so could be.

Prime99 said...

Excellent point, Observer. There is precedent on the show for imaginary characters. Bank on it.

surveyor10 said...

Will Prime TV end up playing Season 6 after it's bout on SoHo? Anyone know?
Great but obvious marketing trick by SkyTV to play the first 4 episodes for free and then flick the switch to make you pay to see more...
Or should I just suck it up and pay the SoHo dues to Sky?